Q&A Forums

Grain silos Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
quentin
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 11:28 AM
Grain silos
OK, yup, I am still around but busy with a few things trying to get the financing and etc rolling. Stupid divorce, grrr.

But on with the question. My family owns a farm and the old silos are due to be painted. I was wondering if foam on the outside would work better than paint and be more durable. The gain stored in them is always already dried so the heat and cold is not the worry so much as preservation of the metal and preventing moisture and critters from getting in.

Opinions?
Jeffrey Souder
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 05:56 PM
I would look into the Poly's used by the SPF Roofers to top coat. They are strong and UV resistant. I don't think you would really need the foam on it unless you rae using to give it a little more stuctural strength.
Just my opinion
Jeff Souder
Berks Spray Foam Insulation
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 23, 2007 09:32 PM
Polyurea sounds like a better option.

Best wishes,

olger
quentin
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 08:05 AM
Thanks gents. I was thinking about that and wasn't sure if foam would be a good option. I will pass it on to the rest of the board. A good polyurea may be the way to go. They only get painted every 15-20 years or so from what I was told and if poly will last a lot longer while doing better to protect them, it may be a better option for us.

Anyone near Columbus Ohio that sprays poly and might be interested in doing an estimate for the corp?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 04:39 PM
We work in Columbus, regularly.

Get us the job and you can help us on it,

olger
quentin
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 03:38 PM
Sorry for the delay Ogler. I had to run it all across the board and they have the project on hold now for who knows how long. The drought this year has put it in a hurt for the moment.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 10:18 PM
I understand Quentin. Things should improve eventually.
quentin
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 09:37 AM
Sinve you are fairly close to me, mind passing me your email for some million questions and possible visits to job sites? I have a 6 week contract I start tomorrow for computer work on base but I HAVE to get something rolling that is more stable and as a disabled vet I think I can pull a lot at WPAFB running a small business.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 04:14 PM
gcwagoner@earthlink.net
quentin
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 01:29 PM
Thanks!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.