Q&A Forums

Graco Equipment Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Circle-D
Posted: Mar 19, 2011 06:47 PM
Graco Equipment
I read a lot of negative feelings about Graco here on the board. People complain about the high prices, the monopoly and unreliaable equipment. Several times a month there is a post from someone looking for help with a problem.
I am looking into purchasing another machine and all this makes me nervous of Graco. Very seldom do I read about problems with Glascraft or the other mfg.'s. To be fair, I realize Graco spends alot every year on R+D, hence the high prices to cover overhead. I also know Graco has more machines out there than an other mfg, hence the higher problem rate. Eveyone complains when something is wrong but no one compliments when every thing is right. Here is your chance. This leads to my question. If Graco has more machines out there than anyone else, someone must like them.
I'd like to hear some good things about Graco. How old are your problem free machines? Would you buy another Graco? Here is a chance to stand behind your decision. I don't want to hear from dealers or salesman. I want to hear this from the end users, you and I, the contractors in the field. I know there has to be some happy customers or they would have gone by the wayside before now. Thanks for your responses.
Lynn Mether
Posted: Mar 19, 2011 09:24 PM
I have an E-30 cant complain too much had a few problems but nothing i or my guys couldn't figure out on the jobsite. I just wish I had bought a higher output machine for certain jobs but great machine to train a new employee on.
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 03:09 AM
You realize that Glascraft was bought out by Graco right?

We use Gusmer, Glascraft, and our newest rig has a Graco E-30.

None of the problems we've ever had with any equipment can be blamed on the manufacturer... The biggest problem here is that there are people in this business that simply shouldn't be, if you cannot read a manual, or do simple mechanical diagnosis you shouldn't be spraying foam.

Foam equipment is happiest when it's used daily and actually maintained properly.
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 10:01 AM
circle-d...graco stuff is fine buisness...
the modular boards affords you fast repairs in the field along with quick diagnosis of said problem...yes you are replacing some parts that aint toast in the modular assembly,,boohoo..
the parts are available fast,,,
there are some real dandy dealer/service techs available to you...many advertise right here on sprayfoammagazine.com (shameless plug),,,
properly sized for both output and heat the machine should give you good performance at a fair price...
now to answer your questions specifically:
e30 4yrs old,,replaced a iso pressure relief valve,,great wall rig,,it dont like the larger chambers and we fall asleep shooting cathedrals with her,,,but she's a great wall rig,,
i will probably buy an e-40 due to parts availability,,supportability,,,serviceability,,, for the next rig,,,the new whatevertheircalledthisweekmachine really looks good and the first generation unit we rely on for our daily bread is bullet proof,,but,,

dude
steven argus
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 10:05 AM
Skip, We've been running an H25 for about 6 months now. No problems. We upgraded from our Glascraft A5 that had problems on a daily basis. I figure we have increased production about 50% just because we don't have equipment problems anymore.

I'm still on the fence about Graco. I think they produce excellent equipment, but I'm just uneasy about the monopoly. The main reason I bought my Graco equipment is because of George Spanos. I trust him.

Are you looking to upgrade because you are having issues with your current equipment? Or are you looking for more output?
Brian Currie
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 12:11 PM
Is'nt our whole industry kind of a monopoly in itself? I mean we need very specialized equipment to do what we do and everyone wants everything to work perfectly all the time,but that's just not reality. Anything mechanical with many moving parts is going to wear out and need fixin' DL123 is right,if you don't know what you're doing,or how to fix stuff when it needs it,this is not the trade to be in.
I have only used gusmer and graco so I can't speak for other machines but have always had good luck with mine aside from normal wear and tear.
Like DL said, you need to take care of stuff if you expect it to keep working for you. Are you gonna buy a new truck and never change the oil and then blame chevy when it does"nt work anymore?
It's not like we can go to Walmart and buy parts for our proportioners.There just isn't enough demand for aftermarket or lower price parts and I hope there never is because that will mean there are so many sprayfoamers out there that it is worth it to these companies to sell stuff cheaper. And that will only hurt us.
So there's always going to be some form of monopoly on our equipment because or our specialization.
Circle-D
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 01:57 PM
To all those who responed, thank you.
DL123- Yes I am aware the red was swallowed by the blue. I currently spray with a Glascraft Guardian A5 and after 4 years it still sprays as good as the day it was new. A little minor preventive maintainence from time to time and she keeps on strokin'.
Guiness- I've have always done business with George and any regular reader here knows I'm an avid supporter. I've told the Northeast Graco rep (Kevin)in the past that George is the only reason I would buy Graco. Now that the time has actually come to put together another rig, I'm doing my research and weighing my options.
Keep the comments coming fellas, you know it takes a lotta "atta boys" to wipe out an "oh sh!t".
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 07:58 PM
I'm actually fairly unimpressed with one of our rigs lately, we have a trailer with two Glascraft MH-3s in it... One of them works flawlessly, the other one every once in a while the piston wont hit the limit/reversing switch and I'll lose pressure... Go to the trailer, lightly touch the switch and it works fine again... Still not the end of the world, and like I said the other one works flawlessly. It will only do this sometimes, it might spray fine for weeks and then have a single bad day, sort of tough to get upset over.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 06:48 AM
DL, the rectangular steel tubing that the air switches are mounting on is held in place by 2 small allen head screws at the top and bottom. You can loosen the screws and slide the tube and air switches slightly closer to the hydraulic rod that hits them. That should fix that.

George
David Friedson
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 05:50 PM
I have a Graco FoamCat, it's been in use for almost 8 years. I also have a less than 1 year old Graco E-10. No problems with either, just regular maintenance.
Lane Hogstad
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 06:43 PM
Had an e-20 ate boards graco said it was the generator. H-25 now same generator works great no problems Hmmmm. I think the generator fixed itself.
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 11:36 PM
NHSpray, someone else is running that rig now, I'm pretty sure he's messed with that adjustment quite a bit I think something is ovalled out.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.