Q&A Forums

Getting into Spray Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Joseph Bufalino
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 07:31 PM
Getting into Spray Foam
Im ready to do it. Get the rig that is, i have a Krendle Machine 500c right now for cellulose and fiberglass. We do it on the side. Anyway, what set up would i need to break into spray foam. We are going to do ten to twenty jobs a year at first, i have some rental units to practice on.

How much do i need to spend

where do i go

and what do i get as far as equipment and product

thanks
John Shockney
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 11:13 PM
Before you get into buying equipment try to go out and help a contractor spray a job, most of us would love some free help.

Also if you are only planning on spraying 10-20 sets of foam per year that will leave your rig setting for 330 days a year and those long down times are harder on equipment than spraying everyday.

Let me know where you are and if we are close you could come out and spray some foam with us.

Airpro
steven argus
Posted: Mar 01, 2011 09:29 AM
Like Airpro said, Try it before you buy it. This bus is not for everyone, but if you blow newspaper for a living now you may understand what I'm saying. Although I believe foam is alot more difficult but both are messy and sweaty.

Foam is definetly not something you can do on the side or part time. The equipment is happy when it runs everyday. When the equipment sits, the problems pop up. Your newspaper machine can sit for years without use, fire it up and you're good to go. Let a foam machine sit for a week, (without pickeling it) and you will see problems. Maybe just a small problem, but that small problem will leed to another small problem and then you have 3 small problems and you're shut down for a few days tring to fix it. You're customer is angry and the crew of drywall guys are about to kick you're azz. The pressure is on, your're loosing money and you're loosing a good reputation. This has happened to us a few times, we have since learned to antisipate problems and keep up with mantenance. Also we lean on our supplier and depend on their service to help us with advice and parts.

And don't buy cheap equipment, it burns you in the long run. Maybe if you live in the south where it is warm, but if you live where it gets cold, cheap, small equipment just won't cut it.
clint moore
Posted: Mar 01, 2011 10:15 AM
If you are in the Southwest call John at 602-909-6822. Also recommend taking a class like the PITC (polyurethane insulation training center)or a SPFA (spray polurethane foam alliance) classes.
steven argus
Posted: Mar 01, 2011 10:26 AM
I recomend George Sponos @ SFDONE. 603-348-8880. Great products, great service and they have a conferance coming up in May (I think) where you can get your class room training from Mason Knowles himself. Mason will also be there for Photo ops and autographs. Also heard George will be sporting a speedo for most of the show and there will be an open bar every night. LOL.

Aside from my wise a.. comments, George and his company are very good at what they do.
quentin
Posted: Mar 01, 2011 02:44 PM
The two best I have run across are George Spanos and also John Thompson. George was already mentioned and JT can be found at Sprayfoam Nation. I know they cover Ohio, the NE and New Orleans at the least. Either of those two will steer you in the right direction.

As for trying it, I am in Ohio and if you want to come check out what is involved, then let me know. I have a 14,000sqft barn next week getting a couple of inches of closed cell up past Lima.
Joseph Bufalino
Posted: Mar 01, 2011 10:34 PM
Thanks for the responses, ive been hearing that this is no part time gig. I live in Edinboro, PA, outside of Erie, i will come and labor for whoever is near enough if youll let me, I own a landscape and half a tree service and have some rentals to practice on, i cant sit still have been blowing paper and fglass for 8 years for beer and gun money, now i want the brewery, lol, thanks again and im serious ill bood a flight or drive if youll have me, thanks
quentin
Posted: Mar 02, 2011 08:23 AM
If you are willing, we have that job starting Monday. Or if you want we can work something out on those properties you have with showing you what is involved and you get a good deal on the spraying of a property or two.

Quentin@foamdogs.com
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Mar 05, 2011 12:15 PM
We're always interested in a new sprayer. Just give me a call to discuss details.
Jim
585-733-5686

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.