Q&A Forums

Fusion on/off valves Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Linerman
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 08:50 PM
Fusion on/off valves
So I've been using the Graco Confusion gun for about a year now and have had to replace the material valves several times now due to the oring inside failing,,yea you can just replace the orings but that only seems to last about 2 weeks. Went and put on the 'ol trusty ball valves that Glascraft would use to replace the ingenious material valves graco designed. I was just wondering if anybody else has had problems with the seals in the on/off valve. Mind you I have not been wrenching on them or been rough with them......
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 06:10 AM
yes we replace them regularly as well
we spray em with release and try to keep em coverd via our guns sock...
seems more of a problem with the closed cell product,,get down the shaft and wreaks havoc on the orings...
i am apprehensive about using ball valves on the gun,,,unless i can find em with a locking detent on the handle...we get in some tight spots with the gun and i would fear closing,,,or partially closing one of the valves while spraying away..
i am considering a pair at the end of the "flexible whip" assembly,,as these seem to fail with regularity as well,,,and then it is a mad dash to the rig to power down,,lol...(keep a bag in the spray bucket @ all times)
Linerman
Posted: Jul 19, 2010 08:10 PM
I posted this in polyurea.com and spoke with my supplier about this and it seems like a common problem so it just wasn't me having this issue.

http://www.swagelok.com/search/product_detail.aspx?part=SS-42GF2

Those are the ones I've been using but I think they have an option for a locking handle might wanna check them out.

I really never had an issue with those kind of valves I think once and that was like 7-8 years ago. Yea they do make the gun a little more bulkier. But it makes it way easier to shut your material on and off.
Tim Tuffy
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 10:00 PM
I rebuild them about once a year on average and have only had a problem with them one time, when the factory o-rings went bad. Are you using the right o-ring for this application? Or just a standard buna o-ring? The right one would be a 007 EPDM 90 durometer o-ring with the split back up o-ring to go with it. Never had a problem with one since.
Linerman
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 10:26 PM
I've been buying brand new valve units and having problems few months later. Its with whatever o-rings graco puts in them.
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 12:04 PM
flattland,,
great info,,thanx,,
not sure what orings were comeing with the rebuild kits from the aftermarket supplier we use for this stuff...
will forward your post to him and see if it is what he is doing and let him make the decision as to if he needs to switch products or not to get something that "holds up" to the rigor of this assembly...
thnx again
dude
Daniel X
Posted: Sep 14, 2010 10:09 PM
I've only had one fail on me.

Don't crank them down so hard, they only have to be tight enough to stop fluid from leaking out.

Are you opening them all the way?
Todd Pote
Posted: Jan 03, 2011 08:21 PM
Don't crank them all the way open until they stop, this will damage the plastic ring. we were replacing valves a few times a month. someone told me only to open them two and a half to 3 turns. Haven't replaced one in two years.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.