Q&A Forums

Fusion ap nightmare Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Newcode jd
Posted: May 24, 2017 02:59 AM
Fusion ap nightmare
Hello everyone, new to the board but have followed for some time now. I'm new to the foam business, 4 months in. First 3 months were great, very few problems. The latest 2 weeks have been terrible. We have literally rebuilt clogged guns, at least 30 times. I have 2 graco ap guns. I've replaced side seals, side seal canisters, and mixing chambers multiple times in each gun. Our pressures and temperatures are correct. We take alot of pain cleaning our guns with dynasolve. Replace or rings on a daily basis the last 2 weeks, still having cross over. I'm at my wits end. I've called multiple reps, from multiple companies, and they all tell me it's side seals or mixing chambers. I realize that's what the problem sounds like, but as I stated we have replaced with new parts and it hasn't changed. Just hoping someone could clue me in on what is going on. We are spraying open cell, corabond insulation. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
LoneStarSprayFoam
Posted: Jul 09, 2017 09:29 PM
We had issues with the Fusion AP and ended up changing over to the PMC AP2 gun. I'm certainly not trying to sell them but they're smaller, lighter, easier and cheaper to maintain and cost about half the price when you can get them on sale. We bought two on this site and paid $1250 apiece. Guys love them, I love them because parts are cheaper and they're easy to take apart and clean every night.
Just sayin. Sorry you're having Graco problems, we don't use their stuff anymore.
Lvnthafoamlyfe
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 12:59 AM
We were going through the same things. It was miserable. Replaced the whole fluid housing and problem solved. Where your side seals seat are probably bored out and it's letting your gun flood. Don't use wire brushes to clean them.
ShaneM
Posted: Nov 16, 2017 02:42 PM
Yes, only use nylon brushes to clean housing,
In addition, look into a flush kit for your gun, the only time you should really disassemble the gun is when you have an issue.
The more you take it apart the more wear & tear on the o-rings.
Proper shut down of the gun is important as well, be sure to purge the excess material out of the gun before you grease it.
Only enough grease until it mist out of gun.
beringstar
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 05:24 AM
Shane had some good comments. I've been using the fusion AP for 7 years. It's a good gun.

There are too many other things to consider to take a general statement of trouble fully into account. Having a guy who cares is at the root of it. And further, having an owner who cares is the foundation. You can't sit at home and hope it works out. Everything Shane said is advice coming from a guy who knows. We spray several sets thru a Fusion AP and don't tear it down. When we do, our backup was already soaking in NMP and all the parts were cleaned with the right methods. You also have to check your Y-strainer on your A side occasionally, store you material properly, and have good spray technique with the gun. Pressures need to be balanced relatively well at all times.

Theres a lot to it. The gun is a great gun. If you have guys farming it with no supervision and lame training, you get what you put into it.
beringstar
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 05:29 AM
Its an easy gun to work on and keep running, in summary. As Shane mentioned, you don't want to use aggressive tools or brushes to clean it. If you mar the housing that the side seal sits in, material can bypass the seal and fak it up. Graco makes a really nice cleaning kit to supplement your own tools.
beringstar
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 05:29 AM
Its an easy gun to work on and keep running, in summary. As Shane mentioned, you don't want to use aggressive tools or brushes to clean it. If you mar the housing that the side seal sits in, material can bypass the seal and fak it up. Graco makes a really nice cleaning kit to supplement your own tools.
mark moyer
Posted: Dec 05, 2017 12:37 AM
..duct tape n super glu for me...
flatfoamer
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 04:28 AM
I only use grease for the air cap. TSL for everything else. I never pump grease in it. averaging 1 set a day and my gun lasts 4 to 6 weeks. if there's any solvent especially dinasolve left on the parts during assembly the orings will blow out prematurely. don't race your way through rebuilding the gun
Dakotafoamboy
Posted: Nov 04, 2018 06:25 PM
I'm constantly between my Graco Fusion AP and PMC AP-2. I like both, but each have their short falls. The handles on both are terribly uncomfortable and I've modified both with body puddy. The PMC parts aren't as durable, they are machined from 4140 high carbon steel, so you have to be extremely careful drilling out the mixing chambers or you will wallow out the orifice. Graco chambers are made of a much more durable steel that is also stainless, I've never wallowed out an orifice on those even being reckless with a cordless drill. I hate the 2 piece chamber of the AP-2. That is just an area for misalignment and the chemical to hang up in the chamber and cause a booger in the chamber. I love the feel of the AP-2 trigger, weight and speed.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.