Q&A Forums

Foams for existing structures Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Circle-D
Posted: Dec 03, 2006 09:55 PM
Foams for existing structures
Hi everyone, new kid on the block here doing some research. What is there on the market for insulating existing structures, without tearing out walls to use the standard sprayfoam products?
Seems I've heard of pourable foams?, slowrise foams? How are this injected into an existing wall? Do they carry the same sealant and insulation qualities as the open cell and closed cell sprayfoams? Can these be installed in a cavity all ready filled (so to speak)with filterglass?
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Dec 04, 2006 09:54 AM
The foam that I use is called Retrofoam, it is pre-expanded foam so that you do not bust the drywall loose. The problem with pour foams and slow rise is that they expand once in the cavity, which can create many problems. So bottom line either use a pre expanded foam or use cellulose.
Posted: Dec 06, 2006 11:12 PM
retrofoam? sounds like what ive been looking for, for older homes with no insulation. what kind of equipment and cost (board foot/ square foot)?
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Dec 10, 2006 09:29 AM
I have been wanting to foam my own home. It only has 3" of fiberglass batt in the walls. Outside Chicago, this can be a hairy mess in the winter.

I also need new siding. IF I do the siding, I will also replace the wall sheathing (wood fiber mostly) and insulate from the outside.

This may be a good gig, if I can put some pricing on it.

What do you guys think?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.