Q&A Forums

FOAM SHRINKAGE! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Craig Maturi
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 08:11 AM
FOAM SHRINKAGE!
i just did a job last weekend with open cell foam, everything was great when i left. i got called back there yesterday and the foam pulled away from the studs about a .5 inch in some spots and the ceiling that had 10 inches when i left now has 8 or 9 inches! what the heck happened! whats the best way to go back and fix these voids between the studs and the foam that pulled away? this sux!!!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 11:08 PM
can foam
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 05:25 AM
"...... the foam pulled away from the studs about a .5 inch in some spots and the ceiling that had 10 inches when i left now has 8 or 9 inches! what the heck happened!"

if you were on ratio and applied with good application technique you created a thermoset plastic that will not settle, sag, or shrink over time (open or closed cell)...it may "sag back, or appear to settle" at the time of install, but this is an effect of "improper" processing,,,but still good plastic foam insulation is manufactured if you are on ratio...

if the 1/2" gap at the top of the rise of the open cell is what your customer is concerned about,,,you didnt educate well enough before the job on just what the customer "would see on the wall" at the completion of the job...
if you left with 10 inches up there,,there will still be 10 inches up there,,,it did not settle or shrink 10-20% even in its worse nightmare.... (you probably were 8" deep in some spots,,,they measure at the low,,you measure at the high,,,get it..and the "clustomer duck" begins"...
your customer is busting your balls because of the "irregular profile" of a spray applied application,,particularly OC..(learn to spray better,,it will come with time,,,top off low spots)
one would wonder whether you did a good job to educate as to just what you would apply,,,what depth you would apply to..
just how this stuff would look when done,,,and believe me,,,they freak on the OC profiles if they dont know any better or arent well informed...(??why is it only 3.5-4" deep in my 2x6 walls??)....

do a wide cut down into these buns of foam at the stud interface and see how deep the "pull back goes"...(do this with the customer/general to educate them too) if you were applying correctly you may see a 1/2" gap or so at the "top of the roll" this aint pull back it is the skining of the foam at the top of the roll...this stuff explodes at 100+ times its volume and when it gets to the top it skins and the skin aint sticky,,hence the appearance of the gap,, but back at the sheating to the foam interface you will find a great bond between the foam and the frameing members....due to good application and the expansion of the material....

so for now,,,patch up your work to make the customer happy...pronto...
the customer is always right,,,even when their wrong...

how,,either gun it or cans and kits depending on the magnatude....

i would bring back the rig and "put on the ritz" going room by room with a depth pin topping off any cavity not within 1/2" of spec'd depth...and would shoot this customer long to get em happy and to keep em from talking crap about you, and more importantly about sprayfoam...

to err is human,,,,to forgive is devine....

ps: in the beginning,,,never pull off a site without doing a walkthru with the person paying the invoice,,,have them acknowledge that the application meets their approval,,,it will save you time, frustration & face....
it will also help educate you as to what your "customers" will expect in the future...

pss,,,when "topping off" a cavity with open cell try a short fast single stroke with the gun..you dont need to make multiple passes to gain a little lift,,,( its a "fluid metering device"
that looks like a gun,,it is not a "gun",,if your pointing and shooting,,,it looks like hell,,stroke it baby stroke it...

psss: hi geo...busyier than a 1 legged man in a buttkickin contest,,,life is good..thank you god..

...and the wind screams....foam me...
Timothy Sonney
Posted: May 02, 2007 04:09 AM
I agree fully with FOAMDUDE. Have the customer walk thru before you pull away, and have them sign off on the job. This covers your azz and call backs.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.