Q&A Forums

Foam removal? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jenny Hamon
Posted: May 26, 2013 01:42 AM
Foam removal?
I posted a while ago about 5 year old foam that still stinks. I can't deal with it anymore, and we have decided to try and remove what we can from the attic. Does anyone know the best way to remove the foam? What precautions should we take?

I am not happy with spray foam at all. I will be using fiberglass from now on!
Mark Mouton
Posted: May 26, 2013 04:32 PM
Is it sprayed to the bottom of roofline making an unvented attic? If it is, try opening the attic to the soffits at the plate-line (assuming you have soffit vents) about every 6-8 feet and install a power exhaust fan in the roof(or maybe whirlybirds). Then install blown fiberglas in the ceiling? This should pull out the odor, continually airing out the foam from outside air and keep the smell from entering the house.
Might work!
There are some good solar-powered fans that are quiet and don't need a 110v wire if you like.
Jenny Hamon
Posted: May 27, 2013 01:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It was an unvented attic, but I made my husband put in vents after the first year. It didn't help. I think a fan could help a little, but the odor is pretty strong, so I feel like either removal of the foam or just selling our house is the only option.
Bob Silverman
Posted: May 28, 2013 09:33 AM
Have you been in contact with the manufacturer and installer? What part of the country are you in? Hot climate, cold climate? Is it open or closed cell foam? What brand is it? Removing the foam is no easy task. Open cell can be just dug out with your hands and scraped. Closed cell needs to be cut with a sawzall and dug out with the claw of a hammer. If removal is your only option, then make sure you wear a full face mask with organic vapor cartridges and particulate filters. Foam makes alot of particles when you cut it with a saw and painful in the eye.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.