Q&A Forums

foam on mechanical ducts Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 04, 2010 03:57 PM
foam on mechanical ducts
We are trying to solve a problem at a local university. The building is a PE center with an indoor swimming pool. The roof is BUR with an attic space and ceiling tiles below. The mechanical ducts run in this attic space and condensation is forming on the ducts and dripping onto the ceiling tiles. We proposed spraying the ducting with 3" 2lb closed cell foam. The engineer said that insulation on the ducts must meet a flame spread of <20 and smoke of < 50. Do you have any info conserning this application? Any info will help
mason
Posted: Mar 04, 2010 04:28 PM
Unfortunately, the code official is correct. In commercial buildings any insulation on duct work is required to have 25 flame spread and less than 50 smoke developed rating. The sprayfoam can easily match 25 flame spread but not the 50 smoke.

Ironically, Bob Braun proposed a building code change in the 2007 supplement that allowed the use of SPF on duct work inside buildings and homes.

I negotiated a deal with Owens Corning and with NAIMA at the code hearings to allow the use of SPF on ducts in residential buildings. But, when the commercial codes were debated tthe next day they reneged on the deal and did not support it. Consequently, the IRC (residential code) allows the use of SPF on ducts in homes, but the IBC (commercial code) does not allow the use of SPF on ducts in commercial buildings.

(You can use SPF on ducts on the exterior of the building, for example, roof top equipment).
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 04, 2010 10:51 PM
Slip,

Email me, I have some documentation that might be able to assist you.

George Spanos
gspanos@roadrunner.com
Posted: Mar 05, 2010 05:49 AM
(send to me geo...i luv to read stuff..specially stuff with big words)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.