Q&A Forums

Foam Manufacturers, Have they got your back? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 03:52 PM
Foam Manufacturers, Have they got your back?
A new contractor in the foam insulation business has a tough time getting off the ground with the majority of the market using conventional insulation. Marketing and public education is an everyday struggle. Equipment malfunctions, and things they never spoke of when you started the training sessions are commonplace. However, when one of the leaders of the industry learns of a high profile customer or of a customer that might provide a continuing source of income they go behind the "local guys" to either "cut them out" or put the potential customer "in the business". A little assistance with such a customer would help everyone. More chemical would be sold and a customer would be serviced in a way that promotes the industry. Numerous episodes of the manufacturer becoming involved in such a manner is more of an "Amway" business approach. If this continues, the people with the "bee" can let us be. Their "help" shows us and begs the question; have they got your back?
philip mullins
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 11:35 PM
this wasw one of my biggest concerns when considering getting into the foam biz. and i spent a great deal of time researching and checking out the many suppliers in the industry. i could tell you many reasons to stay away from a few of these guys. but, i dont want this to be another one of my deleted post. i will say this, BASF has been more than good to me. as have the peeps at chemical design, who are distributers for basf. i got wind of a very large job coming up in my area and instead of going around me, basf will be sending a "team" down to help me with the bid and selling the job. so far larry faith and his team at basf and cdi have done all that they promised and then some.

i have also heard good things about freedom foam. and george has helped me out a time or two, even though i dont spray his product.

some guys promise you the world and tell you what you wanna hear till they get your money. seems dumb to me. if i were in thier s******s i would be more interested in building long term relationships based on trust and service. after all, the more we grow the more they grow, right?
Huey Reed
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 11:00 PM
Not to worry, the small blenders are being bought up, another one just recently sold out to DOW. Can't wait to see how they destroy the foam business. Every red neck with a pick-up truck will be spraying foam for beer money.

Part of your sales approach should include your $3m/$2m insurance policy, legal American employees, workers comp, overspray insurance protection etc., etc., etc.. We have an info packet with all our braggin' rights which we give to every builder. Good Luck!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 30, 2007 09:10 PM
Larry Faith is top notch. Been around for 30-years almost. I've known him since 1986.

Harco, who did DOW buy out?

Thanks,

olger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.