Q&A Forums

Foam Home Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Feb 02, 2007 06:18 PM
Foam Home
I should have a rig in the driveway sometime next month. My first job will be my own house. I'm wondering if you guys would chime in and help me do a proper application? I like closed cell and live in the South. Vapor barrier is on the outside of the sheathing.

We have a ranch house and we're adding an attached garge with a bonus room above the garage. We regraded the entire lot and the place is currently a disaster. The footers were poured for the garage today.

I'm wondering what the proper applications would be for the house attic and crawlspace, the bonus room cieling and floor. I can foam the garage walls but the fiberglass in the house walls stays.

Our crawlspace under the house is big enough to use for storage and is used for lawnmower, tools, etc. We also keep things in the attic but not much. The roof on the house is a low pitched hip. The roof over the garage is a gable with the ridge ends turned down.

I'm thinking I can leave a section in the garage exposed with plexiglass so as to use for a demo. If you guys need anymore info please let me know and I appreciate the help.

As a side note, I spoke with a code official recently and he thinks things are headed in the direction of closed crawlspaces here. Any opportunity in that with foam?

Regards,

Leon
Posted: Feb 03, 2007 04:31 PM
I suggest that you do 2 things in rapid succession. One buy a book titled "Builders Guide to Hot-Humid Climates" by Joseph Lstiburek, available at www.eeba.org and two contact www.energywisestructures.com and speak with them relating why to use what foam and get them to properly size you AC units for your building protection and maximum efficiency of the project. If you have any questions you may certainly feel free to contact me. Kenneth. www.coolsprayllc.com or www.coolservice.com
Posted: Feb 03, 2007 04:40 PM
Thanks Kenneth,

I believe I'm in a MIXED humid climate part of the state. I believe the North Carolina beaches and South Carolina are considered HOT and humid. Am I correct? I'll look to see if the same guy has a book for other climates.

Leon
Posted: Feb 04, 2007 05:15 PM
Yes he does have a book for that area also, pretty sharp fellow. Best to you! Kenneth
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 05, 2007 10:10 PM
The third thing you should do is yank that fiberglass air filter out of your walls.

olger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.