Q&A Forums

Foam Efficiency Studies needed! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
quentin
Posted: Feb 19, 2011 09:11 AM
Foam Efficiency Studies needed!
HELP!!! I have been looking everywhere and found a little bit so far done by the DOE but I can't fund more than a summery by someone of it. I need studies showing how foam actually performs in efficiency compared to other insulations. The reason is that I am workign with a great local state rep to get some legislation done where foam will have an exception to the R value requirements in the building code since it performs much better.

What we need is actual independent government studies showing that you don't need to do an R21 wall or R49 in the attic if you use foam. This will allow us to compete better with the other lesser insulations since I won't have to spray 7 inches of closed cell or etc when in reality 4 inches will beat their R49 of paper or fibercrap.

If you have any, email them to me or links to find them ASAP please! Once I get this done and we can get the legislation pushed through I can also see about getting copies of it to others to get their reps to do to. Or if your state has something like that, send me the info on that legislation.
D. Backes
Posted: Feb 19, 2011 01:32 PM
Try the Oak Ridge National Labs site for their studies comparing foam, cellulose and fibercrap. Johns Manville conducted their own studies back in 1979 re the actual R values in attics with fiberglass. Not something they publisised but you can find it all over the internet.

Google is your friend.
mason
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 08:08 AM
SPFA has conducted side by side comparisons of fiberglass vs foam in both wall and attic assemblies. I have written many articles and presented the data in dozens of presentations at national conferences.

Check out the articles on my website masonknowles.com and contact Rick Duncan of SPFA for the actual reports on the studies. Ask for the ATI wall performance and ORNL attic studies.
quentin
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 09:42 AM
I looked aroudn your site Mason and it has a lot of good info but I had most of it already. The trick is I know they will want something by the DOE or etc. I will email you something I found from them but I can't really find anything else on it and I know they will want more info.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.