Q&A Forums

Foam Delamination Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Apr 03, 2007 12:07 AM
Foam Delamination
Question for foam applicators. In certain areas of the country, we have customers that are experiencing problems with half pound foam shrinkage, and foam delamination. Is anyone having the same problems with half pound foam? What is the diagnosis? Humidity? Why does the foam delaminate and pull off the walls in some areas of the country, and not in others? Any ideas to fix this problem?
Posted: Apr 03, 2007 11:29 AM
yes, closed cell.

i know, cheap shot.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 03, 2007 08:55 PM
ha!

olgrin
Richard Russell
Posted: Apr 04, 2007 07:33 AM
What do you mean by "delamination?" Do you mean separation from the substrate or cracks that develop within the foam, or what? In what areas and under what conditions are you referring to? Is this "delamination" right away, or is it quite some time after the install. If the latter, how is it discovered. Perhaps it is something product-specific. Give us some detail on what you are describing, please.
Jasson Fey
Posted: Apr 04, 2007 01:28 PM
We do not shoot your product but once in a while we will run across excessive shrinking. we noticed that it is normally on very warm days with high humidity. we normally just change our shooting pattern (box pattern) to correct the problem you also may want to lower your hose heat to the lower limits of the material.
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Apr 05, 2007 10:35 AM
I think a lot of delamination issues are brought on by the applicator as much as the supplier. Temp of material, substrate, humidity and application tech. all affect application. If you have a good product?(i don't know) then you should be able to help your applicators develope the proper methods to apply it without delam problems. Remember that soft foam will never be as sticky as hard foam so extra care needs to be taken when applying it to undersides of roofs. Get me info on where the spraying is taking place and how long they have be spraying and who trained them, that will help us determine what is causing he problems.
Posted: Apr 09, 2007 10:13 AM
I have this same problem. I found that if I stir the B side for 10-15 minutes the problems goes away. Most of the time the shrinkage is on colder days (thats 40 degrees here) with high humidity. I have only had 3 jobs when it was an issue.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.