Q&A Forums

Florida Commercial building code Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jim Stephens
Posted: Aug 29, 2008 05:35 PM
Florida Commercial building code
I work for a fire department and assist in design and spec of new stations. We would like to use 2lb foam on the roof deck, but Florida code will not allow it unless it is covered with dry wall. The conditioned space in the attic is covered with sprinklers. Does any one have a suggestion on how to get foam approved?
Thanks Jim
Jim Coler
Posted: Aug 29, 2008 07:48 PM
This is an issue which is currently trying to be flushed out by a committee by the SPFA, but there seems to be a lot of politics involved in the final decision.

There are a couple of ways that you may get it approved. It will take some political working and education of your local code official and fire marshal.

First, try suggesting the use of a foam which has ICC approval (tested under the SWRI crawlspace and attic test) and see if they will accept the ICC's approval.

Second, You may be able to apply for a variance based on a lack of clarity in the code between thermoset and thermoplastic foams. They are distinctly different but lumped all together in the codes as "foam" (foam-is-foam). As a fireman, this could also include information or video of a staged demonstration showing the difference between the different foams (class I, II, III) in combustiuon and stick to how each affect the basics principles of life safety, property and exposures.

It is interesting that I've heard about fires which were limited in extension and exposures because of the foam. I personally sprayed a house a year ago and last month it was struck by lightning and it only had a 3'x6' piece of drywall that had to be removed to completely see all of the fire extension which followed an electrical wire. It was smothered in the ceiling cavity and self extinguished by the time the fire department got there and tore into it.

I personally agree with you and would like to see it approved in this and similar applications, but as I said, until the personal politics of some of the companies involved who manufacture, sell and distribute coatings which could become obsolete if accepted without the coating and the special interests of those who manufacture foams which are more flammable than others. These more flammable foams like the even playing ground of "all foam must be covered" and it would hurt them if it was accepted.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
quentin
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 11:27 AM
I would also say to look in to the coatings but the issue there is it must be certified with that foam and that coating. There are some which have been tested and are designed as the barrier required.
Jim Stephens
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 02:01 PM
Thank you for the insight. I have read the article about Fire Shell Coating on the home page. If it is as easy to apply and passed NFPA 286 it seems to be the easiest route to get it thru. I have taken blocks of 2lb put them on a stick and into the open fire they go, as soon as they were pulled out they self extinguished so the concern from my point of view as a fireman self extinguish is good and a tight attic ie lack of oxygen is great. many of fires have been found to burn themselves out due to lack of o2. Great input.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.