Q&A Forums

fish wholesaler: ceiling in recieving room Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 08:12 PM
fish wholesaler: ceiling in recieving room
fish wholesaler has a 18' x 28' receiving room. keeps it 48-50 degrees in there.(would be 70-75 degrees on the day it gets sprayed) this is just the holding area for loads of fish coming in. it is not a freezer!

customer wants one inch of foam on the ceiling. 1.9 closed cell. (all compressors are on roof) i would like to put 2" on the ceiling, but owner is moaning over cost. wants one inch. will one inch work? i am thinking it would. please give your thoughts!
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 06:24 AM
i just wont spray over head less than 2" and i push for 3"...on the metal ribbed roofs it take me 2" minimum to make a nice profile and not be 1/2" thick at the rib to flat junctions,,,which the customer will bitch about...
we also need to consider if the application is adequate to prevent condensation,,,which could be a real problem for the customer if it rains on his fish...
please post ambient extreme conditions (summer and winter) as well as the indoor conditions and the substrate to which you will apply...
re: whineing about the cost..boo hoo,,,let him try and stick a plastic wrapped fiberglass batt up there and see how it works for him...hee hee..
"it's raining again"........supertramp
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 08:35 AM
70 year old brick building. 3" thick cement ceiling.thermostat set at 50 degrees. but that can swing 3-4 degrees either way. slightly warmer when business is closed. I figure it would already have been raining in the receiving room if the cement was a problem. some flaky paint (old age) that i would power wash off first. i would wait over the weekend for the ceiling to dry out.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 10:43 AM
two inches would be our recommendation.

have fun
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 07:19 PM
1" is certainly going to be better than nothing. Being that you are dealing with a cement ceiling I don't forsee you having any issues with 1" Being a problem instead of 2". You will have a higher perm rating with 1" but being that it will be kept at 45 you would need very cold outside temp to achieve dew point dont see that as an issue with the 1".You will have to consider moisture drive from outside on hot days however,Therefore you may need to consider a vapor barrier before foam.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 08:11 PM
18x28 - thats only 504 sqft. We would also suggest 2". If the ceiling needs to be cleaned before you can spray, we would also charge extra for that. We're insulators, not janitors.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 09:11 PM
i agree we are not janitors. i gave the owner a set price to power wash the ceiling and the option to power wash it himself.also additional charge for a top coat of paint. yes not very big job. This job can also potentialy get me more business from the owner.interior insulation and foam roofing jobs. this is one room out of 11. more fish wholesalers 300 yards down the street. if the foam can make a noticeable difference in the utilities, it will be easier to sell to him & the competition more foam.
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 01:54 AM
Well I can't tell you what will work in your situation, I have sprayed 1 to 1.5 inches of foam for condensation control before, but I have also sprayed 1.5 inches of foam in Trinidad, Colorado, in a 80 x 100 ft. Two weeks later it got to 0 degrees at night and not a drop of ice the water dish. If you can spray an inch without much problem go for it.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.