Q&A Forums

First 50 washes Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Owen Whisnant
Posted: Aug 29, 2009 11:22 AM
First 50 washes
Hey all
I am spraying a new car dealership and have had the pleasure of buying my first 50 car washes for the people who work next door. You really have to love those sites with a never ending supply of wind. I think I'll start my own web site OVERSPRAY.com.
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 05:36 AM
...roofer madness strikes again!!!!
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 09:07 AM
It'll get better. When we first started we use to overspray about 1 out of every two jobs. Now, we are 1 out of every 20 jobs we have an incident.

Learn basic procedures to protect from the wind and you will be fine! You may want to keep some clay bar on your rig. If the people you overspray get too irate, pull out the clay bar, give it a couple of sprays and then wipe off and show them how easy it is to come off.

Auto dealerships are the most fun to overspray. So many new vehicles in such as small space.

Goodluck out there and use wind screens if you feel any wind at all and you are not in a wide open space that won't hit any vehicles.
Posted: Sep 01, 2009 05:09 PM
In the 30 years we have been in foam roofing we have never done a car dealership (nor a building next to one).

Foam roofing is one of those systems that you just need to walk away from if the surroundings are too sensitive.

Everytime you overspray a car, you are doing huge damage to our industry.

We don't use windscreens and we work in a very windy location, but we almost never overspray cars (let me keep my fingers crossed) because we follow two rules:

1) We don't bid jobs where parked cars are too close to the building.

2) We shut down at the first hint of wind.

We have got to keep ourselves from thinking of overspray as a cost of doing business. Multiply by 10 what you will pay for detailing those 50 cars and that will the amount of damage you have done to your business.
Owen Whisnant
Posted: Sep 01, 2009 08:10 PM
Mr. Roofcrafter
Thanks for your input. I also appreciate your immense amount of experience, but please pull your head out of the sand. If you dont use windscreens your just too cool for the rest of us and if you shut down at the first breeze that's your call. But getting the job done is the priority here and overspray happens so get off the high horse you seem to be riding and chill man. By the way those 50 washes were for 10 cars. Treating people the right way also impacts our business.
Lee
Posted: Sep 01, 2009 10:20 PM
Hi Lee

The winds always blowing in South Louisiana and when its not, the mosquito's will carry you away.

Good Luck to you! I know how you feel.

Steve

PS We work a lot of weekends to eliminate traffic and parked cars.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.