Q&A Forums

Fireproof coating for interior foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
thomas rowse
Posted: Aug 02, 2006 09:53 PM
Fireproof coating for interior foam
I am building a metal (quonset) building and will have the interior insulated with an open cell foam. Is there a lightweight "finish coat" that I can roll-on or spray on top of the foam that will add fire resistance and a hard, wall-like finish?
Posted: Aug 03, 2006 05:56 PM
google foamsafe cementious coating....
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Aug 03, 2006 08:35 PM
Just out of curiousity why are you going to insulate the building with open cell, is it 0.5 lb. I personally would recomend 2lb. or something equivelant. It will hold up better and provide a better surface to apply the coating. Contego makes a paint and also although it may not be rated as a fire barrier EL Rey stucco makes a product called insulbond-P It is a cementaious base coat that sticks really good to foam, you will also need some fiberglass mesh to go with this method.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 03, 2006 10:18 PM
Just ran into a potential project where a gov building was foamed on first floor with soy based open cell. State building inspector wouldn't let the contractor spray foam in the ceiling due to a fire rating. I'm finding that a lot of the state bld inspectors are the local fire chiefs. Don't know why this could be a problem. Anyone else know?

Next, the customer has a huge unfinished basement. They want to insulate between the floor joists but inspector says no because of fire rating. The joists are actually wood trusses with a plywood deck/floor. Easy spray job and customer wants foam under the floor but says inspector will not allow. Plus they want to spray the concrete basement walls. Would open cell be suitable for the walls and what can be done with the underside of the floors? Customer wants to drop ceiling.
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Aug 04, 2006 10:19 PM
My advice contact the folks at contego and find out who is the technical guru there, then talk to the inspector and put him into contact with the contego people. Some of the test that are required for a fire barrier have already been done but it depends on what exactly the inspector wants to see, basically a bunch of red tape B.S. The foam isn't going to burn any worse than the rest of the crap in the house but the fiberglass guys have done a good job of screwing us. But let the inspector and contego butt heads not you, just say that you would like him to talk to them and see if there product would be exceptable to him.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 06, 2006 03:50 PM
Contego rep is Tony Scott. Very knowlegeable.

317-432-0665

Fire Marshalls can be a pain, due to their over-inflated sense of self importance. A few are ok.

olger
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 07:27 AM
Just sprayed some contego this past week. Nice product. Looks and sprays great. Costs about $1 a square foot for the materials. It is another avenue for us to make a few more bucks. I have a $300 paint sprayer that I got at home depot 4 or 5 years ago. I wasn't sure if it would handle it, but it sprayed it without issue. After spraying foam for a while, when I switched to the little paint sprayer, it doesn't even feel like it is working! It is like a little toy compared to the foam gun. If more jobs require it, I would probably buy a sprayer with a higher output capacity.

George
Ron Suttle
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 12:46 PM
Check out our web site www.healthybuilt.com concerning our crawl space fire test results. Then call us for more information.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:11 PM
Does Contego have the neccesary testing results to satify the 15 minute thermal barrier requirement as compared to an ignition barrier. When I talked with them earlier this year, they didn't have them yet.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 07:23 AM
Contego does not have a full scale corner test over foam. They have tested it over plywood. Contego looks like a great product but I do not feel they have all of their testing together yet. Safe bets are K-13 cellulose or type 7TB from Southwest fireproofing products.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.