Q&A Forums

Fire code issues Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Nov 17, 2006 06:41 AM
Fire code issues
I live and work in a market that has NO code inspections so it wouldn't matter what the heck I spray in a wall or roof. However, I want to make sure of CYA issues.

One of my products has an ICC ES report that states that there should be 3.5" of soft foam in walls and 5.5 to 10" of open cell in the roof line. It also calls for 15 minute thermal barrier on most walls or a 15 minute ignition barrier/intumescent coating. The main issue is to have the coating cover the foam on the vertical attic walls when doing the hot roof/closed attic assembly.

Do most of you use the intumescent or just leave it out and let the builder/owner deal with the fire issues?

This one manufacturer does a great job of trying to scare us into following the ICC report which is only an advisory report. I think they are trying to reduce their liability in training and requiring that spec but most of the people I'm selling to are going to do what I recommend they do and because of price, usually at a minimum. Obviously the coatings are an added expense.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 18, 2006 09:18 PM
It's true. People usually balk at spending another .50-100 for thermal barriers. If the attic has no access, it doesn't need intumescent paint.

Is the conservative company you referenced from the south east?

olger
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Nov 19, 2006 09:56 AM
Southeast via Canada. In making my Sealection of soft foams, I decided to use a company that had good contractor feedback. The contractors I talked to Loved the product but had a bitter response about the company and it's management. I'm now finding that out first hand. Do you have any experience with them?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 19, 2006 08:50 PM
Nope. Use NCFI and NAP mostly.

Anything's better than Icy..... as far as management goes.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Dec 08, 2006 10:03 PM
Og,
Just realized that my answer may not have been very clear. It's mfgred in the southern midwest. Originally from north of the border

What do you do in attic assemblies with NCFI (do they have a .5#?) and NAP if there is access? Do you get away with spraying 3.5 on walls and 5 on lid or roof deck? Do you have to spray the entire foamed area with thermal coating or just the verticals? Do your code officials follow a particular standard? Do they accept ICC reports? Do they look at foam as being foam and allow brand B to be sprayed at Brand D or I's report approvals?
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Dec 10, 2006 09:24 AM
So, what types of coatings qualify as the fire barriers?
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 02:10 PM
There's a couple of different types of coatings that are considered ignition barriers, excluding K13 type products. One is Andek Firegard and there are several other intumescent coatings.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 08:28 PM
Contego (Actual thermal barrier paint)
Aldo (Ignition barrier)

We spray Thermocon. It works well as a 15-minute barrier also.
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 09:27 PM
Olger,
Has Contego actually provided you with the test data for the 15 minute thermal barrier. I have asked them and they have provided me with other tests, but not for ASTM E 119 (which is what I'm told is needed). Thanks
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Jan 02, 2007 03:39 PM
I would like to know also.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 02, 2007 08:16 PM
They have, yes.

Call Tony Scott at 866-655-5298.

olger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.