Q&A Forums

Fine Homebuilding Article Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
steven argus
Posted: Jan 25, 2011 08:19 AM
Fine Homebuilding Article
Been reading Fine Hombuilding Magazine for about 20 years. This months cover was very disturbing to me. Flash and Batt.

A "designer", I'm sure "light in the loafers" wanna be architect/ engineer, is saying how wonderful the flash and batt system is and cost effective. Lot's of missleeding info. See if you can see the problems in the cover pic and the pic inside.

last month, Fine Hombuilding mag featured an article on a cellulose vaulted ceiling... unvented!

Also, read the colum, "from the editor." He states, "What you are holding is nothing more than our latest effort to save the world from shoddy construction."

Really?

Some one should fire off an email to these guys. I am not as "silver tounged' as some of you guys, also not as edumakated either.
Circle-D
Posted: Jan 31, 2011 05:58 PM
I went to a building show a month or so ago and was talking with a cellumulch mfg. out of Mass. He had photos and glory stories of unvented cellumulch roof assemblies on the coast of Maine.
His fancy colored tri fold brochure was full of comparitive fallicies of foam to his product. I pointed a few of them out and he was kind of at a loss for factual answers.
We just need to be better at educating our potential customers then they are. I keep some basic documentation with me when I go to do an estimate. The customers think more of your opinions if you can back then up with a study paper from Oak Ridge or some other credible entity.
steven argus
Posted: Feb 01, 2011 09:02 AM
The unvented roof with cellulose was in "The Journal of Light Construction" January 2011. My mistake.

On the cover of JLC, they show an ice dam. Inside they describe how inadequate insulation is the cause. Not one mention of spray foam contributing to any of the problems.

Hmmm...
Daniel X
Posted: Feb 05, 2011 11:08 PM
You read the same article that I did, and it states that you need to have enough foam on the wall to keep the inside face of the foam above the dew point which is correct.

What exactly is your problem with the article?

Or, do you just turn your nose up at the idea of foam and fibreglass in the same cavity?

The problem I see with the cover pic is how ugly the surface of the foam is, I can't stick my probe in to see how thick it is, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 06, 2011 04:10 PM
It was misleading.

Have fun,

`oG

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.