Q&A Forums

figuring job esimates????? help Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Craig Maturi
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 05:56 PM
figuring job esimates????? help
i am in the process of starting a SPF business and am looking for some help on figuring out estimates and material?? i live in Minnesota and our codes are R-19 walls, R-38 roofs. i plan on using mostly 2lb closed cell. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT? please.

craig_m@mdi.org cmaturi@yahoo.com
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 06:44 PM
Do you know what your suppliers foam r-value per inch is? Say it is 6.5. Take R-19/6.5 and you need to spray approx 3 inches in the walls. R-38/6.5 and you need approx 6 inches in the roof. If you price per board foot you take your entire wall square footage and multiply that by 3 that will give you your board feet in the walls. Do the same for the roof. Subtract for the windows, doors, skylights to be competitive. Now find the yield (amount of foam board foot per set) that your suppliers foam will produce. If you get 4000 bdf per set and the set costs you $2000, your material cost is $0.50 per board foot. Now add what you would like to make in labor per board foot (30-50 cents generally, more or less depending on your market) and you have your cost to the customer installed.

If you use open cell then you just do it all over with the open cell specs!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 08:47 PM
Remember to add waste to the fiquiring. I add 15%.
Nobody can spray exactly 3" but the bid is for 3" and you should spray 3" or more not less. Its a fine line but it's one of the first things the customer will call you on and starting out you want to keep everyone happy.
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 09:27 PM
Yep you are right Tom, I forgot to mention that. Definitely figure waste. You don't want to be paying for the stuff getting thrown out, the waste is unavoidable!

Tim
Barry Wallett
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 02:33 PM
I know I am missing something but my question concerns Tim's posting. His example is (forgive me if I'm not accurate)If you wanted R19 in the walls, and your product has an r value of 6, you would get the board feet of the wall area to be covered then multiply by 3 to attain the needed R value of 6. I understand that this will forcast material usage.

How would I figure labor? When I foam the wall is there a maximum depth that I can spray at one time to save labor? Could I spray the three inches of CC foam during my first pass thus lowering my labor needed and the BF billed to my customer?

I watched the video's of the OC foam going in and it appears to expand several inches.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 05:33 PM
You take the square footage of the wall space. That would represent 1 board foot thick (12"x12"x1"). Then if you need to spray 3 inches in the walls to meet your code requirements (based on the r-value of foam you are using) that will give you the board feet needed for the walls.

Example. a 10' long walls 8' high. That is 80 square feet of surface area 1 inch thick. If you need 3 inches in that wall to meet code you must multiply 80X3 and you get 240bdf of foam needed for that wall. Subtract windows or doors etc and that is the basic idea.

Hope that helps!

Tim
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 05:44 PM
A pretty safe estimate is to take your foam cost per bosrd foot and double it. That should put you in the .88-1.00 per board foot range which seems to work in most areas of the country. Your foam rep should have approximate sq ft coverage for you material. Take the price you pay for the foam, add tax and shipping and divide that by your board foot yield and that will give your cost per board foot. That should be around .41-.50 cents per board foot.

Hope that helps.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.