Q&A Forums

Eye protection Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 07, 2006 11:10 PM
Eye protection
Are the Advanz Gogggles the best thing going out there? This is all I have ever used and I'm always looking for something better. I bought a full face respirator so I will have to use the advanz lens covers. Is there anything else out there for a full face other than the advanz?

Thanks
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 04:30 PM
I think that the Advanz goggle you are using is the same as what I use. Mine are made by AO safety and I buy them at home depot for around 6 or 7 bucks. For your full face resperator get some cling wrap like you use at home to store food. You can put this directly on the resperator, having an extra set of hands helps. The key is to put it on smooth. Or clear packaging tape works but is a pain. The best thing I have found is a half face resperator and the advanz type goggles.
Trey Gibson
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 09:48 PM
Thats interesting about the cling wrap. Is it hard to get it on without any wrinkles? In the past we used transparencies from Staples and just made a template and cut them out. But now we use the advanz respirator goggles and they work fine.
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 09:29 PM
It can be a little tricky, but if there are two of you to handle the stuff you can usually keep it pretty wrinkle free. A little hint, use a knife or pair of scissors to cut it, triing to rip it on there tear strip I always harder, it always made it instantly wrinkle. Another thing is if you get the big rolls it works great for putting over windows. Being so clear it allows alot more natural light in. I would set the roll on the floor and have my helper tape it when I pulled it up to the top of the window.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 01:34 AM
i wear a full face 6900 series 3m mask..
covers the entire face..
i use the lens covers for it (cant remember the number for the lens covers)..
they cost about a buck a piece,,,but are sturdy and stay on well...i go thru 10-12 on an average home..they are fast to apply..(time is money)(i job cost $15 for each job for this item)
remember to have a respirator available to wear when you are changing lens covers..or wrapping your head in celophane...we analyzed our exposure to spray vapors and determined that this time of switching lens covers, although relatively short amount of time, was our largest unprotected respiratory exposure,,,add up the changes and you have a pretty good winder of exposure over the course of a day..make sure the people in the structure with you have em on too..

re windows: i have difficulty seeing near plastic covered windows once i put a little overspray drift on the lens cover...so i use cheap o poly tarps..place,,staple,,fold to fit,,staple,,spray,,remove once past the penetration..fast and furious,,,and reusable..
my 6x8 tarps have been in use for 2 years and look like they have been to Nam and back,,but at $1.88 on sale they have earned their keep,,i might retire them this spring,,hee hee..:)
i watched a guy spend a whole day covering windows and doors with plastic..&.taped up electrical boxes..i could have sprayed 1/2 the house in the time he prepped..we tarp 2-3 rooms ahead of the spraymonkey,and bring em down when safely past the room to return ambient light..and then reapply in the next room..

recieved a sample of the advance lens covers..
evaluation: study population: 1 use..hee hee
well it worked well with the 3m full face...till i took a break and the elastic head strap pulled thru the little cheap assed staple that they fasten it with...so i pried it open,,shoved it back under..tied a knot in the end,,crimped the staple and whalla!! good to go until the next break and then the foam strip that seals the cover to the mask started to come off of the cover..i think i had used about 1/2 of the reel...so off to the poopcan it went,,and back to the 3m covers i am..my opinion,,great concept,,cheap construction..not for "demanding" environments.(read may work well in a paint booth) ..

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.