Q&A Forums

epoxy coatings for roof over spf Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
JOSEPH MARINZULICH
Posted: Sep 08, 2008 08:43 AM
epoxy coatings for roof over spf
Has anyone ever used epoxy coating over spf?

Is this new tech? What companies offer this product? Any ideas are qreatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 10:33 AM
Why epoxy?
Linerman
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 07:39 PM
Volatile Free has an aluminum coating that applies right over the foam in roofing applications.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 08:43 PM
Are you talking ablout the 551 urethane coating?
Posted: Nov 15, 2008 09:38 AM
Any and ALL coating sprayed over spf,,, better be elastomeric..... If not, you will have serious failures down road.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 01:24 PM
Three main types of coating for use over foam are acrylics, urethanes & silicones. Each has it's limitations for use. The VFI aluminum coatings are 550 moisture cure and the 540 hybrid polyurea for use over foam.
The most common use for epoxies on a roof (in connection with a foam system) is as a primer over a bare concrete deck.
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 05:42 PM
I used the 540 before from Volatile free and works very well on metal application only, but never used on foam.

I have heard (I am going to try anyway) that Polyurea over foam shrinks up a little. Is there any truth to this?

Silicone is so easy and unless you are going to have a lot of traffic, I am not sure if I would go with an epoxy. I would put extra granules and let it ride!
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 06:59 PM
I've used both VFI 550 moisture cure urethane & VFI 540 polyurea hybrid over foam. Both worked well. I have not noticed nor heard of any shrinkage issues. These products are intended to be an economical coating designed for use over foam. It works well over metal and single-ply too. If you need a tough durable coating, nothing beats the urethanes be it a moisture cure, batch chemical cure or a polyurea! Silicones are great for longevity as long as there is plenty of slope and limited traffic, even with granules.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.