Q&A Forums

epdm roof overlay Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 04:31 PM
epdm roof overlay
just looked at a building with epdm on it now that is leaking. was thinking about screwing down plywood over top and flashing the drainage edge then putting spf system down. will that work and is there a better way.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 08:09 PM
There are numerous ways to renovate an older EPDM roof with spray-on systems.

The plywood will work if they need some insulation (SPF).

If all they are after is leak proofing, then I would consider using 540-A polyurea over it.

How is the EPDM roof fastened? You could add more fasteners and spray right to the old rubber after priming.

olger
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 11:08 PM
epdm is ballasted with 1-3" rock. what about a single component coating.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 08:06 AM
Single component would work too. You will need a fastener every 5 ft2.

olger
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Sep 25, 2006 08:01 PM
Now we're talking....not EPDM, but Trocal PVC....I have a customer that has a trocal roof that springs leaks. It isa ballasted roof. I was thingking of moving ballast, cutting flashings down, cleaining, priming, 540-A, cure, and replace ballast.

I would only offer my warranty on it. I think it would work.

What do you guys think? The 540-A is some awesome stuff.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 26, 2006 11:54 AM
Sounds good. Wash well and use #11 primer (unless they say different).

I would recommend foam on the flashings, btw. 40-45 mils of 540 should do the trick.

olger
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Sep 27, 2006 10:28 PM
Have you tried VFI's roofing foam? What did you think?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 28, 2006 08:52 PM
Liked it.

olger
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Oct 05, 2006 08:38 AM
#1007 FOR PLASTICS, RIGHT?
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Oct 07, 2006 01:04 AM
Aaron, Have you had much experience with Trocal? I'd be scared to spray over that product with just about anything.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 09:24 PM
Because of the splitting of the PVC or the adhesion? Maybe better to tear and ???

If I have to do foam, Im getting another proportioner. :)
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 06:04 PM
The splitting. I don't think there's much of an issue with the adhesion but I'm not the one to answer that question either. I've seen those systems split and not into 1/4" splits. When they go, sometimes the gap is 2-3 inches wide by 10-12' long. I'd bet that 540 would do a good job of holding it together and keeping it from splitting but I'd be afraid to take that chance without someone taking a sip out of the cup before I did.

You could just call me. I'll foam it for you or haul it up and let that MrEguy spray it.
Victoria Morgon
Posted: Aug 07, 2020 11:57 AM
One of the unique attributes of EPDM is its ability to be easily repaired and restored – an attribute never seen before in the roofing industry. Unlike other roof systems that may degrade and become brittle over time from ultraviolet exposure, EPDM maintains its integrity and flexibility. Because of this, EPDM allows for modifications as easy as washing the membrane, preparing the surface and applying the repair material, including coatings. Perhaps coating the EPDM roof is the best option to restore it like a new. Coatings like EPDM Liquid Rubber can restore an existing roof to like-new; delaying the need for roof replacement by adding up to 18 to 20 years of guaranteed life protection to your current roof.
Bawisher jaky
Posted: Sep 29, 2023 02:42 AM
#Victoria Morgon
EPDM roofing stand out with its unique repairability and resilience in the face of UV exposure. unlike other roofing option EPDM maintains its flexibility over time allowing for easy modifications such as membrane cleaning surface preparation, and the application of repair material including coatings. opting for EPDM Liquid Rubber coating available through local services like [url=https://marylandroofers.com/services/roof-repair/]roof repair[/url] MD can effectively restore your EPDM roof to a like new state extending its lifespan by up to 18 to 20 years. Thanks..
Bawisher jaky
Posted: Sep 29, 2023 02:43 AM
#Victoria Morgon
EPDM roofing stand out with its unique repairability and resilience in the face of UV exposure. unlike other roofing option EPDM maintains its flexibility over time allowing for easy modifications such as membrane cleaning surface preparation, and the application of repair material including coatings. opting for EPDM Liquid Rubber coating available through local services like roofer repair MD can effectively restore your EPDM roof to a like new state extending its lifespan by up to 18 to 20 years. Thanks..
sarah Nolyerr
Posted: Oct 21, 2023 11:49 AM
Hello Epdm roofing stand out with its unique repair ability and resilience in the face of UV exposure. unlike other roofing option EPDM maintains its flexibility over time allowing for easy modifications such as membrane cleaning surface preparation, and the application of repair material including coatings. opting for EPDM Liquid Rubber coating available through local services Roof repair mclean va can effectively restore your EPDM roof to a like new state extending its lifespan by up to 18 to 20 years. Thanks..
sarah Nolyerr
Posted: Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM
Roof repair is not typically an easy task and should be handled by a professional contractor. However, if you are determined to repair your roof yourself, there are a few things you can do to make the job easier. First, make sure you have the right tools and materials for the job. This will vary depending on the type of roof you have and the extent of the damage, but at a minimum you will need a ladder, a roofing hammer, nails, shingles, and roofing cement. You should also make sure you have a helper to assist you with the repair and to keep you safe while working on the roof. Finally, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the basic steps involved in roof repair before you begin, so that you know what to expect and can plan your work accordingly.
guide from our company: roofing company arlington va
Ray Wohlfarth
Posted: Dec 27, 2023 01:23 AM
Hey,
I recently came across a building with a leaking EPDM roof and was contemplating a solution involving plywood flashing, and an SPF system. I'm wondering if this approach will effectively address the issue or if there a better alternative.

Any insights or recommendations from those experienced in roofing would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interested in practical solutions that have proven to be effective in dealing with EPDM roof leaks. Thanks in advance for your expertise..
sarah Nolyerr
Posted: Jan 09, 2024 03:40 AM
My EPDM roof must have a big section cut out to repair water damage (a leak around ac that only showed up recently, must have leaked for some time). I am looking for suggestions as to what liquid roof product to use to do the entire roof over the existing rubber roof as well as the exposed plywood from the repair. I’m leaning toward a system called [url="https://restonroof.com/herndon-va.php"]roofingcompany herndon va[/url] but would love to find what others have used with success.
sarah Nolyerr
Posted: Jan 09, 2024 03:41 AM
My EPDM roof must have a big section cut out to repair water damage (a leak around ac that only showed up recently, must have leaked for some time). I am looking for suggestions as to what liquid roof product to use to do the entire roof over the existing rubber roof as well as the exposed plywood from the repair. I’m leaning toward a system called roofing company herndon va but would love to find what others have used with success.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.