Q&A Forums

electrical inspectors--problems Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Kevin Gubbels
Posted: Mar 09, 2010 09:29 PM
electrical inspectors--problems
i did some basement walls with 3.5 inches of 1.7 lb open cell foam. The electrical inspector will not pass the home untill i pull all the wires out of the foam and clean them off. 2 reasons given. 1. The chemicals in the foam will breakdown the romex(sp) wiring. 2. The wiring will get too hot.

I think these are both BS reasons, but need some facts to back me up. Surely someone else has run into this.
Thanks
Kevin Gubbels
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Mar 09, 2010 10:39 PM
Yes, I ran into this and sat on a job until the code official said it was OK. This was not his only reason for putting a hold on this job for us and we worked through the other issues and this one just fell to the wayside. But, I do know there have been some studies performed with Romex and the PU foams and there is no reaction.

Can the inspector provide otherwise???!!?!?!? This is always a good question that can put him on the defensive if not asked just right!
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 05:16 AM
seems the snipers are at it again,,
on the code official web sites,,,
anyone can login and post,,just like here...rofl..
next they will tell you that spray foam will make your first born female offspring grow tallywackers,,,and then you got to disprove it..
are you an spfa member??this is exactly where your dues get paid down...

kevin,,this is masons place so i will respectfully wait his lead,,will check in after we get back from the middle of nowhere later this afternoon,,,in the meantime read about thermoset plastics,,,thermoplastic plastics,,,
dont worry,,be happy!!!
mason
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 08:05 AM
I have some research data to share on the subject. Email me at masonknowles@aol.com and I will forward it to you.

SPFA in 1995 did a study on wiring at the Center for Applied Engineering which found that the wiring could be buried in SPF without increasing the heat beyond the wiring insulation's capacity.

But, you may have a problem with smaller guage wiring used for security systems, sound and other things.

SPFA is starting a new research project on the effects of exothermic heat on wiring insulation to help address this issue.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.