Q&A Forums

electric meter converted for rig power supply Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 05:54 PM
electric meter converted for rig power supply
my licensed electrician buddy and I are brainstorming to convert two meters we have. (four lug, single phase, 220) we have taken them apart. we want to solder #2 wire (red& black) to bottom lugs. 20' to box.hard wired from rig to box.
second meter would be double 110 outlets. (different needs than spray foam rig)
both meters would go thru double breaker boxes.
#2 green would be grounded via steel rod in ground.
if we can place a properly wired meter in a customers meter box outside the home, I can save a lot of time out of customers basements.
does anybody out there sell such a item? suggestions?
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 10:23 PM
Would you be pulling the customers meter that the electric company monitors use with and replacing with yours to get power directly to your rig?
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 10:38 PM
yes. we will remove customer meter and install our meter.
(with ground rod already in place)
we figure we are not the 1st to do this, just need more technical details to get it right.
Circle-D
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 11:18 PM
Power companies will frown on you removing their equipment. Power companies here seal their meteres to protect from tampering. Slap your hand and your wallet if you break their seal.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Sep 03, 2009 11:57 PM
BEWARE! The power companies are making it public that they do not condone anyone to remove the meters - even in emergency situations! As a fireman, we sometimes have a need to pull meters, but the power companies warned us not to because they have seen some fail as their being pulled off and explode. The explosion can cause serious bodily injuries or even death. This is because in order to remove a meter, it typically needs to be wiggled back and forth which can loosen the connections within the meter or box. When this happens, an arc can occur and boom.

I also know a couple of housefires that started at the meter. I don't want to own the responsibility of possibly starting a fire or contributing to it's ignition through "tampering" with the meter!

Don't Do It!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.