Q&A Forums

E 10 hoses Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
dave defehr
Posted: Mar 16, 2013 04:49 PM
E 10 hoses
Hey there guys, just wondering if anyone has a heated E10 with hose heat? I do as well, but I'm just curious how the whole hose heat thing works? I do believe it is completely different than the Exp1 in that the E10 doesn't have all the electrical connections. Am I right? On my machine it looks like someone rigged an after market heat line in there some where, which works great, by the way. I have a regular 110v plug coming out the machine end of the hose to plug in the wall, and at the gun end there is another twist lock type plug with electrical tape wrapped around it. This doesn't sound like it would come from Graco this way, does it? And I did buy this machine used by the way. Just wondering what I would do if I ever had to replace the hose heat. The reason I'm posting this is because someone told me I could always keep it plugged in, but someone else said I should unplug it after every use. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 16, 2013 09:20 PM
A heated E10 does not have electrically heated hose. It uses a looping hose system. The material gets sucked out of the tank, through the pump, through the heater out to the hose to the gun where it goes back down another hose back into the tank. So you recirculate the materials through this closed loop and it heats the hose and the material in the tank. Once it gets up to temp, you shut off the recirc and spray. If it sits for some time, then you need to recirc again to reheat the hose. I am unfamiliar with the aftermarket hose heat that you have. Graco doesn't have anything like that.

Click the link at left and then on the E10 operation manual. The hose setup is shown on page 54.

George
Philip Simon
Posted: Jun 07, 2013 06:51 PM
I spray with an e-10. It pumps the material from the tanks thru the block heaters on the machine thru the hoses to the gun and then back to the tanks. When the material heats up you switch to spray which stops the material from flowing back to the tanks. That is how the machine is set up from the factory. No hose heat at all.
It sounds like the person who you bought the machine from added a heat tape type of heater to the factory hose. The type you either add to the roof to stop ice from forming or the type you wrap around water pipes to keep them from freezing.
I also looked into adding some heat to my hoses. When I read the specs on the heat tape, some were rated for use only on copper pipe, some had to be spaced a certain distant apart with no overlap, some did not fit into the heat range needed. I decided they were not worth the possible problems. I did add heat using a small water heat with a pump that circulate hot water thru a tube wrapped around the hose bundle. This way the temperature can be controlled with the thermostat on the water heater.
I would check out what you have and make sure it is safe
dave defehr
Posted: Jun 08, 2013 01:22 AM
Just saw the reply now, sorry. I have never had the scuff guard off my hoses as I have only had the machine a year so Im not sure what type of heat tape has been used. There are 2 fuses at the machine end of the hose set, so it seems like they knew what they were doing. I've never tried to heat the machine with the hose heat not plugged in so I don't even know how long it would take. How long does it take your machine to reach full temp? What's the max temp your machine will get up to? What are you using it for? I use mine for spraying bedliners and it seems to work great. I do plug my hose heat in as soon as I turn the machine on. I can reach 150 degrees in about 40 min with full tanks. As far as the E10 is concerned I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Let me know what you think? Also, if you're spraying bedliners, what do you or other guys lay down on the floor so not to cover the floor with material? Just curious! Can you explain your water heat tube method for your hoses a bit more, not sure I understand? Another question for you. Do you find that if you hold the trigger down on the gun for a long time the heat drops faster than if you're constantly triggering??? I've also noticed if I'm spraying something where I do have to trigger alot it will bring the temp over 150, any thoughts?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.