Q&A Forums

Do you get rid of fiberglass? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Andrew Phillips
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 12:30 PM
Do you get rid of fiberglass?
I am having my attic roof deck sprayed w/ cc & I have a metal roof. It will be unvented & I'm down South. One installer said my old fiberglass insulation would have to be removed. This stuff currently is in between the ceiling joists. Is there any truth to this or is the guy trying to generate more work for himself.
He says that keeping the old insulation would make a barrier between tha attic and living space and that you want the heat/ cooling from the conditioned space to transfer to the attic.
Richard Russell
Posted: Jul 03, 2007 07:31 AM
I would have thought you'd get a reply of some sort by now. The first thing that comes to mind is whether you plan to use the attic space for anything, even for A/C ducts, etc. If not, then there is no reason to have the attic be warmed or cooled by the interior. The attic will just be at a temperature between outside air and living space below. Why are you having the roof deck foamed? Has the attic insulation been inadequate in some way?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jul 04, 2007 01:52 PM
It depends. Like Dick said, do you want to deck (add plywood) the attic for storage? I would.

Is there HVAC ductwork in the attic?

What makes them think that fiberglass will be much of a roadblock to energy transfer anyway? Usually isn't.

On the other hand, if you wanted to vac the glass out, I would recommend blowing it into a dumpster and saying "good riddance" as the waste removal company pulls away...

You will like your conditioned attic, that is certain. ENJOY.

OLGER
Andrew Phillips
Posted: Jul 05, 2007 02:53 PM
This is part of an attic renovation where half of the attic will be decked & converted to a new master suite. We are having the entire accessible roof structure sprayed though.
To me it makes no sense to remove any of the old stuff unless it is in the way.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.