Q&A Forums

depth gauge Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Nathan Scott
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 06:50 PM
depth gauge
What is everybody using for a depth gauge for testing thickness in wall/ceiling cavities. Is there a manufacturer that makes a pre-measured gauge?
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 09:35 PM
An ice pick that is taped off at the depth you are trying to spray.

George
Circle-D
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 09:47 PM
I use a pin vise with a piece of 1/16" wire in it that you can adjust to the depth you need.
Tim Trott
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 02:04 PM
I have been using 24" insulation support wires. I wrap duct tape around the approximate desired depth area to about 1/2" thick and fasten it with zip ties. Then I can measure and cut the tape to the desired depth. I bend a hook in the handle end for hanging on strapping, staging etc. Probably not the best set up, but it works and a 20 dollar box of them is a 10 year supply. (sounds like someone should be working on a professional tool for this application-hmmmm?)
quentin
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 09:28 PM
I know I have seen a gauge that CPi sells. It is really just a piece of wire in a nice tube that when the wire hits the wall it stops and when the base of the tube hits the foam it shows the depth.

https://store.cpifoam.com/CPI/ItemDesc.asp?Ic=TLDEPTHG621

A ruler, clear tube and wire would work as well. Just take and mount the wire on the 12in side as the base sliding in the clear tube. Push the wire until it stops, when the base is touching the foam you look at the top of the wire and it will tell you how deep it is. 1 ruler, 1 piece of wire that is 12in and a straw or piece of tubing will cost you about $3 total. Use a little paint on the end or something like that to make it easier to read and you are done.
clint moore
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 10:10 AM
GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL SEND YOU ONE.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 10:14 AM
We also carry them, 1.800.289.8272 - parts.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.