Q&A Forums

custom color in acrylic or urethane coating Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Kevin Gubbels
Posted: Jul 12, 2009 10:52 PM
custom color in acrylic or urethane coating
I have a job where we are spraying the exterior walls of a block building. The customer wants it painted brown. I didn't think it would be a bid deal to color the elastermeric acrylic but i guess we can't do that. I am thinking about doing it even though the manufacturer says no. What do you guys think? Another option might be to cover the foam with a urethane coating, but i have no experience with this. Can anyone suggest a supplier. Thanks
john thompson
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 08:26 AM
Kevin,
I dont see any reason you can not have the Acrylic custom colored. I tell people to pick a color off of a S&W color chart and submit it. There is an upcharge for the custom colors but I've never been told NO by the manufacturer.
Dan Beecher
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 09:00 AM
Sounds like you need to find a new coating supplier. My supplier has made as little as 20 gal of acrylic for me on a job. Same as above, give a SW color number and away they go. Acrylics are easy to do it with. Some suppliers may only make larger batches though, and expect to pay 2 to 3 bucks a gallon for it.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 04:56 PM
I tinted 14 drums of acrylic for a customer that changed his mind after I bought all white. We went to S&W and bought some cans of tint and created our own formulation. Your supplier should have no problem making a custom color batch.
I wouldn't recommend using a urethane on a wall if your not experienced with it. For one it's much more expensive than acrylics and two, it runs very easy and you won't even see it till later when it's to late.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.