Q&A Forums

Crawl Space Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Matt Schell
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 07:28 PM
Crawl Space
Matt Schell
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 07:29 PM
I am new to the business and was wondering the proper way to spray a crawl space as far as thickness, what to spray, and how to estimate it?
Your help is appreciated, Thanks
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 10:32 PM
You would definately want to use closed cell. The thickness would depend on what part of the country you are in. If you want to create an unconditioned crawl space, you spray the underside of the floor and if you want to create a conditioned crawl space (if there are pipes or ductwork in the space) you spray the perimeter walls and possibly the dirt or gravel floor. For estimating, you need to measure the square footage of the area to be sprayed multiplied by the thickness you will apply to get your total board feet, multiplied by your installed board foot price.

George
Matt Schell
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 09:52 AM
Thanks George, I appreciate it. By the way I am from south dakota.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 05:48 PM
Couple inches should work fine.
Posted: Sep 19, 2010 06:53 PM
I can't possible consider oc in a crawl space, be it on the floor on an encapsulated foundation. I've been spraying about 6 yrs. and I've never felt the crawl space was a place for open cell & have refused to do it in anything other than cc, even though its allowed by code here in the floor in the Charlotte area. Now I'm hearing about the local I boys doing it on foundation walls for closed cavity system. What's up with that? Is it code approved? Can anyone help?
Posted: Sep 20, 2010 10:08 PM
guess i dont understand,,,
why not oc foam in the subfloor???...
i mean if there is 2x12 floor joists and you apply 10-12" you have an r40 system,,a marvelous air barrier and the ability to cover the ducting without a hassle or "loosing your booty"...
yes i am aware of the vapor retarding properties of closed cell foam,,and yes i do agree it is a superior product...but i can deliver the same r40 open cell for ~30% less than the closed cell r40 application...if there is adequate depth to provide adequate r value,,why not???

i,,as well,,dont like the product on any foundation application,,,crawl or dwelling...
but there are plenty of peeps doin it,,,
cheap is what cheap is,,,and they do a great job sellin "cheap",,,which means you/me failed in the education process...but remember you can lead that horse to water,,but you cant make it drink...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.