Q&A Forums

Corrosion under CC Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
painter213
Posted: Jan 05, 2011 11:40 AM
Corrosion under CC Foam
Mason,

What is your experiance with corrosion under CC foam? I was told that you could spray say a corroding I-Beam with CC Foam and the corrosion would stop. I've been in the corrosion industry for a long time and I call BS on this, but I'm not as well versed in the spray foam area as I would like to be. Maybe you could shed some light on this subject. In my world all corrosion products would have to be removed and then have a good inhibiting primer or a barrier primer applied and then the cc foam system applied.

My problem with applying cc foam over rusting structural members is there is NO WAY to see if there is any corrosion going on and then one day when the structure fails, it's too late.

Any Thoughts?
mason
Posted: Jan 05, 2011 06:36 PM
Sprayfoam (closed cell or open cell) will not stop corrosion that has already started, In fact it could actually make it worse depending on the circumstances. You need to get rid of the rust (sandblast or brush it real good with a wire brush, then treat it with a rust inhibiting primer such as a polyamide expoxy primer. Once you have gotten rid of the rust and treated the metal surface, the foam will help to keep new rust from getting started
painter213

www.specialty-products.com

Benny Abbott

Phone: 205-717-0292

NACE Level III #7953

SSPC PCS # 2014-529-139

SSPC CCI Level II #64351

Posted: Jan 05, 2011 06:40 PM
Thanks Mason,

That's my thought's as well. Just wanted to hear from someone with more foam experiance than myself. I see this as a bad practice that is being done now. Just wonder what's going to happen when these buildings fail?
Dan Beecher
Posted: Jan 05, 2011 09:44 PM
I tell people all the time and it holds true for just about any instance I know of in the SPF world. Our product is only as good as what it is being sprayed to. Crappy substrate, crappy long term result.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.