Q&A Forums

Core Samples? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Mar 09, 2009 09:18 PM
Core Samples?
SPFer
Posted: Mar 09, 2009 09:19 PM
What do you guys use to take core samples and where can I get one?

Thanks
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 02:21 PM
HI Dave

I use a little tool that I picked up from ABC Supply, which if I am not mistaken is a national chain.

I hook it to a cordless drill and it gives me a 1 inch core when I drill through the roof.

Some Tar & Gravel Guys showed it to me. You may want to ask Chris at WDG about the tool and he can tell you where to find one.

Steve
quentin
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 11:08 AM
WOW! A lot cheaper at ABC than the other places I looked though it is a hand version instead of the drill one. About half the cost of the others I looked at that were hand or drill type.

Link to the left for those curious. We just finished roofing classes and are expanding in to that end. Tell you what, the class at CPi with WDG partnered with them is great. Tons of good info and practice and the new facilities are huge compared to the old one. Nice place if anyone wants training for themselves of to send new crew members to. Worth every penny.
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 01:56 PM
Cool..

I have really been impressed with WDG. Chris, who probably regrets ever giving me his cell phone number is like the Wikipedia of roofing.

Pretty good to get started with.
Roger Morrison
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 07:43 AM
Get a length of electrical conduit about 2" in diameter and about 10" long. Have a machine shop or use a file/grinder to sharpen an edge on one end of the conduit. Drill holes perpendicular to the conduit at the other end to insert a rod so that you can twist the knife edge into the spray foam. Carry a file with you to resharpen the edge as needed.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.