Q&A Forums

cooler application Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 08, 2006 10:22 PM
cooler application
can i use .5 lb foam or 1.7 lb soyfoam on a cooler that will be 34 degrees F and if so what thickness
Posted: Sep 09, 2006 08:09 AM
gman,,good to see you post again!

i would recommend 3-4" of closed cell in the 1.7-2lb range....
the open cell would work if you could get enough depth for an R-25 minimum...just dont forget the vapor barrier on the WARM side of the wall,,,

you will notice most prefab panels are ~5" polystyrene with the aluminum skins...

re: soyfoam: foam is foam if processed correctly...polyol is polyol whether soy, canes, petro or PET,,,,

have a great weekend!!
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 07:12 AM
We just did a cooler for a customer of ours, and we did 3-4" of 2lb closed cell foam. By using this type of foam the customer didn't have to worry about having to add a moisture barrier to the unit. I wouldn't recommend using an open cell foam due to the amount of water that is known to appear inside of coolers. The one that we sprayed will mostly hold case's and kegs of beer, so moisture will be around. We will have some photo's of the cooler posted in our photo gallery later today if you would like to take a look.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 06:53 AM
coolers are typically fairly "dry" due to the dehumidification process that accompanies the cooling process...
heat flows from hot to cold...
inadequate insulation and a leaking structure will cause condensation when the warmer outside air infiltrates,, flowing to meet the colder inside air,,
a closed cell foam would be my recomendation,,again..
but open cell will work fine if a vapor barrier/retarder is used on the warm side of the wall and if there is adequate Rvalue to reduce the transfer of hot to cold...
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 06:18 PM
Right as rain, Dude.

olger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.