Q&A Forums

Constant Hose Heat Issues Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 10:07 AM
Constant Hose Heat Issues
We have constant, re-ocurring issues with our hose heat on our rigs. It seems that there is a problem at least twice a year per rig. Today, the heat burnt through the lines causing a spill. Our heated whips always crap out early.

Do you guys have these issues as well or am I just cursed? Are there maintenance steps that can be taken?

Thank you.
quentin
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 11:19 AM
Nope, only had a single blown fuse in my A5 to date. S0omething is seriously wrong though since if the heat is getting that hot you should be blowing a fuse or breaker and etc. Sounds like there is a short somewhere in the hose or control circuits to me. Also may be the sensor and it isn't shutting off when it should.

Break out the meter and break the hose to sections. Betting you will find one that is not like the others for your readings. And people thought Seseme Street would never teach valuable lessons! LOL
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 12:06 PM
I do not use a heated whip and don’t have the problems caused by the constant movement.

I have had an over heated connection at the jumper wire at the end of the heated hose and had to reconnect the leads, I did replace the slip together connections with a solder lineman’s splice connection, less chance for a high resistance open causing over heating. I plan to replace all the connections but haven’t had any problems at the other connections so far.

I had heard that some contractors were having problems with hose heat if they left hose rolled up on the hose rack, I think it could cause heat to build up.

Hope this helps
John
Airpro
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 07:52 PM
I've only blown one hose in the last five year on two rigs.

Are you keeping your hose heat on for extended periods while the hose is coiled up?

I am in a little warmer climate, but I don't use a heated whip either.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 08:50 PM
How old are your glascraft hoses? At the ends of the lines, is the wire that is connected to the cam lock fitting a soft stranded flexible wire, or the old style thhn wire? Is the problem with the camlock fittings, or are the problems where the copper wire crimps to the copper winding? Are you having problems with the same place twice? How are the sprayers on the hose? Are they yanking it around corners. or are they careful?

George
mason
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 12:29 PM
I am wondering what power you have going into your equipment? Have you checked the hose for voltage and amps?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 12:55 PM
True Mase.

Check and see if you have clean or dirty power going to the machine.

good luck,

g
SPFer
Posted: Apr 28, 2010 03:48 PM
Sorry guys, I didn't get very specific. We have graco hoses, with the mesh copper heating. We have had 3 hoses overheat and burn through the chemical lines this year in 2 different rigs. The problem usually happens within a foot of the connection of 2 sections of hose. When we connect theses sections, we have been using butt clamps with electrical solder. Like I said, it has happened in both our rigs, 1 rig is shore power and 1 rig is self contained.

How do I check to see if I have clean or dirty power?

Any thoughts?
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: May 09, 2010 09:41 AM
Are you having these issues in the whip hose only, or at other places. How rough are your guys on unrolling the hose? Is there one guy yanking it in and out of the jobsite?
Posted: May 12, 2010 06:43 AM
check tap settings
check all tsl/fsu connections
ohm out the heat trace to look for break in one of the windings

sell it on ebay

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.