Q&A Forums

cold surface spray techniques Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
FirstName LastName
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 08:31 PM
cold surface spray techniques
what techniques work good for spraying on cold surfaces (40 degree F) one rep says no flash coat another says to i think flash coats work farely will.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 08:39 PM
Get in there and learn it, I suppose. There are too many foams on the market for one technique to satisfy each of them.

kindly,

olger
Posted: Dec 21, 2006 02:10 AM
with closed cell foams:
a good spray technician builds in 3/4 to 1 1/2" lifts, warm or cold...using multiple lifts to obtain the desired depth...
do a wall section with one pass, then come back over and build on it again...
repeat process...

as your foam starts to spray well after start up,,
turn your heats and pressure down..(yesterday at about 42 degrees i was 110 hose,,115resin and iso..1100psi idleing with ~950 to 1000psi while on the trigger by noon).reduce the temp diff between the two materials (foam & substrate),,it seems that the hotter the settings the more cracking and popping i hear and see...and the less sprayable/patternable the product becomes...

work with it,,try different settings and application patterns/techniques,,,see what works for you...
neccessity is the mother of invention...
Jeremy Himmel
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 09:05 PM
Depends on what your substrate is wood usually is not a problem at 40 degrees unless it is OSB, where i would advise on a flash coat because of the coating used on it along with the low temperatures. Concrete is a terrible heat sink and will greatly decrease your yield and productivity, i usually increase temperatures to compensate for the rapid cooling of the foam on the surface. Metal surfaces are very unpredictable due to it's ease of condensation. Your best bet would be to use heaters and increase your substrate temps to at least 60 degrees or higher, but watch your moisture levels because condensation on walls is much worse than a cooler substrate.
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 07:58 PM
Our experience has shown that although a flash coat will lower your yield it will provide a nicer more consistent look. We always flash coat cold substrates,the ease of application more then makes up for the slight lose of product. Some say that a flash coat can cause adhesion problems we have yet to see that. As long as you dont produce condensation all is well. We have never had a delamination problem with a flash coat.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.