Q&A Forums

Codes that Require Air Barrier Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: May 24, 2008 12:21 AM
Codes that Require Air Barrier
Anybody have any ideas if any new codes (state or federal) are in the pipeline that would require strict Air Barrier guidelines that could only be attained by foam?
Posted: Nov 06, 2008 12:27 AM
Mason,

Thanks for making this new category and moving my original question here. Maybe you can pass info on that you hear from SPFA and/or Air Barrier Association or even have one of their representatives post comments to this section of the forum.

Thanks,

Brian
www.roofcrafterswest.com
Reno Roofing
Posted: Nov 06, 2008 11:46 AM
The following states have incorporated air barrier requirements into their commercial energy conservation codes. Information is posted as it is made available to the ABAA office. Please check back frequently

Massachusetts
Wisconsin
Michigan (No link available at this time)
-Air Barrier Association of America
Mike McGaughey
Posted: Dec 02, 2008 10:15 AM
The movement to incorporate air barrier systems into building envelopes is gaining a good bit of momentum. I work closely with architects in OH, PA and NY and while Air barriers are not YET required by code in those states, many firms are putting them into their designs because they are being recognized as "best practice".
Verbage for air barrier systems has been put into the latest version of ASHRAE 90.1-most "experts" interpret that as meaning that Air Barriers will become part of the ICC's upcoming revision. As you probably know-there are three generic types of air barrier systems-fluid applied\(with board stock insulation), peel and stick\(with board stock) and spf(with transition membrane). The fluid applied and peel and stick manufacturers are, for the most part, doing a better job than the spf systems in getting to the specifier. From what I've seen in specifications here is the rough breakdown: Fluid Applied-70%, Peel and stick 25%, SPF 5%.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.