Q&A Forums

closed cell won't show leaks Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Richmond Shaffer
Posted: Jun 07, 2007 10:00 PM
closed cell won't show leaks
I have been researching both closed and open cell foam. I have seen a lot of people spraying roof lines with closed cell. However, say there is a leak in the roof, when will you discover the leak if you used closed cell foam. Same with exterior walls. Water soaks around cladding, soaks through sheathing then rots out the wall before is shows up on the inside of the house. Please anyone give me your opinion on this matter. Closed cell seems to have better advantages but until I am convinced that his isn't a potential problem I wouldn't use it.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Jun 07, 2007 11:43 PM
If I'm a homeowner and there is a roof leak I wouldn't call the insulation company that insulated my house, I'd call the roofer. The same with the walls. If a window is installed wrong and leaks, why would you blame the insulation?
Richmond Shaffer
Posted: Jun 08, 2007 06:11 AM
Not blaming the insulation. I just have the fear that closed cell will not allow the water to pass through it; therefore, one would not even know that there was a leak. I guess I am just thinking about all the things that could go wrong before they do. I have been told that open cell will allow the water to pass through, and it will show exactly where the leak would be. You wouldn't even know to call the roofer or framer because you wouldn't see the leak until it is too late. Just my opinion, and I would appreciate others.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jun 08, 2007 07:54 PM
Leaks are always a concern with new customers. I have lived in several houses over the years and none of the roofs leak. If the roof is installed properly then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. When the roof looks like it has some age on it, replace it! Use high quality underlayment and shingles, install the shingles correctly and insulate with closed cell foam!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Posted: Jun 09, 2007 12:49 PM
i have a shed with a bad metal roof that leaks,,,
we have over the years sprayed about 4" of closed cell to the underside of this roof...it still leaks,,,you dont seal a roof from the inside...

it takes about 2 days for the leak to manifest itself down the roof truss...but it does find its way thru,,,water is a bitch...

so,,,if the roof leaks,,you will see it,,,somewhere...
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 09:19 PM
Rigid foam underneath a roof may act as a temporary deterrent to water intrusion, but it lacks the capacity to leakproof it. We don't want to rely on the insulation for a waterproofer - let the roof do that.

Some years ago... a company that marketed open-cell foam exclusively came up with this straw man argument to try and elbow their way into the spray foam market as a valuable player. Well gentlemen, the best way to establish yourself as a worthy contributor to the foam industry is to make positive contributions to it, not negative detractions.

Summary: Don't spend another minute worrying about foam under the roof. Do it, and enjoy the comfort of knowing you have the best insulation in the world "between you and the elements" (Our motto at WRI).

all the best,

`oG

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.