Q&A Forums

Closed cell on exterior of home then vinal siding over? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dennis Myers
Posted: Mar 09, 2012 02:50 PM
Closed cell on exterior of home then vinal siding over?
The Home:
Original home built in 1924, 6 small extensions added on, all small, first in 1929, last one done 20+ years ago. Total sq foot ~1600. Single story, with a crawl. No insulation under the home. No insulation in any of the walls in the home. One inch of insulation in the attic. Interior walls are all wainscoting, exterior is asbestos shingle. Climate zone 4. Blower door number was 8800 CFM50.

Customer has been told in the past by people that it would probably be more cost effective to knock down the home and start fresh, but she does not want to hear it so she called us.

Homeowner wants CC foam under the floor, and wants the walls and attic insulated.

The question:
The problem is the wall. Some of the walls are balloon frame, some are not, and since all of the walls have wainscoting, blown in insulation is not really possible. We were thinking put lath on the outside of the home, and spray 2-4 inches on the exterior of the home, then side over it. Has this been done? Can it be done?

My real concern is moisture. I am thinking this can only be done with 4" of CC as this would prevent condensation on the inside of the wall.
mason
Posted: Mar 10, 2012 08:27 AM
You can add furring strips to the exterior of the walls, spray foam between the studs and then add siding. But be sure to flash the siding so any water that gets into that space can get out at the bottom.

Check out the websites of some our foam suppliers on how to insulate exterior walls of buildings. I know that BASF & NCFI have online details, others probably do also.

Also, 4 inches in the walls is probably overkill in your climate zone 2 inches would be sufficient to stop condensation and provide the code required R 13 in walls.
John Cottle
Posted: Mar 10, 2012 09:22 AM
Why can't you inject from the exterior side? Nevermind, I see why.
angus mcdougald
Posted: Mar 12, 2012 09:46 PM
I think I want to try something on my house.... build some molds, and spray into them. (Cc pour in maybe?)
then coat the foam (faux rock, texture, fake slate types of molds) and faux paint......
anybody have any experience in this kind of thing?

As far as siding they sell some kind of standoffs to attach siding to....

Also, I have never seen any kind of training about foams used artistically ... anybody ever seen a book or training? Foampak has this dog that looks cool and supposedly hand sprayed no molds.......
Dennis Myers
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 10:37 AM
Sorry I never even checked on my own post... Things got really hectic the past few weeks.

Mason, Thanks, we proposed 2 inches and are still talking it over with the customer.

Brightalt - I recently sprayed the interior of a friends concrete block wall garage with roughly 1/2" of closed cell. He wanted to just paint it grey to make it look like stone but his wife shot that idea down. You can achieve slightly different textures with the distance you spray. I am not sure how you would go about making it look like individual stones, but a full faced "stone" wall is achievable. I assume you can just then spray over it with a gray roof coating to seal it.
mason
Posted: Mar 26, 2012 03:12 PM
Brightalt,

They have been using spray foam and pour-in-place for decorative purposes for decades. Some of the more common uses,
foam sculptures, fish, animals, etc
caves, movie sets
large artificial rocks for your yard
plaques
faux wood paneling & beams

Check with your foam supplier for more information. The spray-in-place is typically sprayed first, trimmed/shaped and coated. While the pour-in-place is cast in molds where the colors (paint or coating) are placed in the molds first and the item comes out ready to use.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.