Q&A Forums

Closed Cell 245 Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 08:14 AM
Closed Cell 245
anybody have any luck with the closed cell foams.
personally i think they suck eggs.
i have tried a variety of blends, from a variety of vendors and they all pretty much bite.
i have tried the blend that shoots to 30 degrees,,and it dont work..this stuff is shrinking following rise..it is not thermal checking,,it is shrinkage..acts like an open cell...rises and then gently falls (sags) back.
the "glaze" on the stud face is powdery not tenachious in its adherance like the old blends..adhesion is questionable...
i sprayed the old foams at 20 degress and could make it work,,,but not this stuff.
i remember hearing a few of the "old timers" of the foam industry asking the manufacturer's if they put any time and money into the development of this blend, or would it be a "fix it as it goes" thing like the last blowing agent transition.
so i quess we arent supposed to work for 4 months out of the year!
i have heated the structures,,tried raising temps,,tried lowering temps, tried larger chambers, tried smaller chambers..NO GOOD
we market ourselves as side to side seamless,,and quite frankly that aint the case with the current material available...
surely there is a chemist somewhere who can make this stuff work.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 11:32 AM
Hi. We have had good results with Insulstar. My son (who does some spraying for us) says it is one of the best he has worked with. Give NCFI a call.

gcw
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 06:58 PM
gcw..
what type of ambient conditions are you spraying at?
anything special with the proportioner settings?

thanx for the reply!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 09:36 AM
Anywhere from 0° to 60°.

We use a Glascraft MH. Heat at 130°. Pressure at 800-1200. Nothing fancy.

We also like the 1# open cell foam for cathedrals and 2x6 studs. It sprays very nice, and is more controllable than half-pound. R-value is 4.5 I think..

gcw
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 10:36 AM
0-60 degrees...
are you experiencing any thermal shock at the lower temps..
ya see, i am experienceing cracking at foam to stud interface,,even at 40 degrees with a blend that is supposed to work to 30 degrees, and has been sprayed to 15 degrees according to the manufacturer...
i did not experience this much difficulty with the 141's....and it is makeing life misserable..

of course the manufacturer always says "thermal shock" but i feel the foam is rising and shrinking back albeit slightly, as i have the same problem on heated walls...

who's 1# blend are you shooting?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
thanx
mark
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 12:01 PM
Hi Mark.

The green NCFI Insulstar is working well at cold temps. Get a set & try it. It's the most effective I have seen so far. Resin Tech has a decent one as well.

The 1# foam is R-Tite 100. We like it a lot. Note: It likes warm weather better than cold. It cracks a bit on cold studs, but so did the 141b below 32° (1.7lb). The 2-lb. 141 worked better.

Thanks for your insights,

Gerry
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 07:28 PM
Sorry Im running a little behind these days guys. As for my opinion on the new 245s Im sorry to say the beautiful foams of the past are gone. Its time to embrace the 245's and run with them. I have found that the Demilec 217-0 heatlok winter blend performs the best for us. We are in northeastern PA and spray 12 months a year. We do experience the typical winter draw backs but have had no shrinkage problems with this system. You guys with the winter blues may want to give it a try next winter. We sprayed all substrated with no delamination or pops.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.