Q&A Forums

Cleaning an Oversprayed Car Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tim Adams
Posted: Sep 04, 2013 07:50 PM
Cleaning an Oversprayed Car
Been pretty lucky over the years. Sprayed over 30 million sq. ft. of emulsion and maybe oversprayed 30 cars.

Sprayed a car with foam this week. Owner really nice about it - we're having it detailed. The clay bar took the overspray off fine but the detailer called to say the windshield has "chemical streaking."

Not sure what that is and he didn't either. He was sure our overspray didn't do it. It follows the eyebrow pattern of his wipers.

The owner hasn't said anything, and might not as he probably knows it was there all along. But getting my ducks in a row just in case. Can dried foam leave a "chemical streak on the windshield?
mason
Posted: Sep 26, 2013 08:04 AM
Sorry about the late reply. Yes, I have seen foam leave a chemical streak on glass. It eventually goes away. Try a ammonia based cleaner on the windshield.
Tim Adams
Posted: Sep 30, 2013 08:04 AM
Turns out the detail shop used an HF-based liquid cleaner that etched the glass. The detail shop balked but I insisted they pay 1/2 and we pay 1/2 to get the BMW owner a new windshield installed.

The car owner was happy, at least with us. He said he knew the problem wasn't our fault because the streaks weren't there when he took the car to the detail shop. I told him I agreed with that, but it was our overspray that set the whole chain of events in action so we felt an obligation to make it right.

Having him say good things about us is worth a few hundred dollars.
mason
Posted: Sep 30, 2013 10:38 AM
Thanks for the update Boyd. Sounds like good business, taking care of a problem before it escalates into a bad relationship with your customer.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.