Q&A Forums

clean up Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
chuckroast
Posted: Oct 26, 2016 08:47 PM
clean up
After successfully applying closed cell foam (Handi-Foam) at the end of the job, about 6 square feet of only one of the components sprayed to the surface, This product was being applied on wood sub-flooring in a crawl space. This created a varnish type substance which dripped from the floor joist onto the dirt floor. This also created very powerful fumes. I have several fans ventilating the area, How can I clean this from the sub floor?. Is there any chemical that will solve this? Will this eventually dry up and stop giving off fumes? any advice would be appreciated.
Dakotafoamboy
Posted: Oct 27, 2016 01:08 PM
Remove whatever dirt it soaked, wipe and scrape any bad foam or chemicals from the substrate. You might be able to dissolve some of the remaining chemical with an acetone soaked rag. Is it resin or ISO? And how did you spray so much before noticing? If ISO any remaining will eventually crystallize, but more than likely it's resin if it expanded like foam and then dripped off the substrate. In which case any remaining will remain forever so clean it up as best you can. By the way, what is Handy-foam?
chuckroast
Posted: Oct 28, 2016 11:01 AM
Thanks for your reply, "Handi-Foam" is by Fomo Products and I assume is much like any of the other 2 part Closed Cell Foam products on the market. I used the 600 Board Feet Kit, which came in 2 tanks and purchased it off of Ebay. It is probably less than 6 square feet of sprayed area (thankfully) The fumes were so bad, I wasn't able to give it a closer inspection until yesterday after two days of venting the crawl space with powerful fans. It appears to be mostly the resin component, which dripped, Most likely caused by one of the tanks running empty, or close to empty at the end of the project. I am glad it is a small area where this happened. Since I was working in a tight area with limited viability, it was hard to see that only one of the components, or mostly one of the components was dispensing. I am also surprised, that I couldn't find any information on my type of situation. I wonder if a steam cleaner will work? Thanks again for your advice.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.