Q&A Forums

Cattle "loafing" shed installation Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
richard sucher II
Posted: Apr 05, 2011 09:31 AM
Cattle "loafing" shed installation
We do not work in ag sector that much but have been asked to look at building that acts as shelter for cattle - sometimes referred to as a "loafing" shed. Animals have access to shelter and come and go as they please. Farmer wanting to spray underside of metal skin roof as well as sidewalls to control condensation and provide a
less stressful environment for animals by blocking wind.
For this type of application, what thickness of foam would make sense. Is one inch adequate or do we need to be looking at greater thickness?
Given the nature of this building's use, am I safe to assume that a thermal barrier is not needed.
quentin
Posted: Apr 05, 2011 10:10 AM
For that use I would look at 2in on the roof to help better with preventing heat from radiating down as well as to glue it together better. This things tend to peel up in high winds and the extra inch would help a lot in preventing that. The sides i would just do an inch to seal them.
steven argus
Posted: Apr 05, 2011 10:45 AM
Unheated ag buildings. We use a combo of CC and OC. 1 inch of CC to glue it all together and, depending on budget and customer needs, 3 inches of OC. The OC is perfect for sound deadining. Animals get spooked and stressed in a metal building during rain/ hail storms.

If there is poo involved, make sure you wrap your hose w/ plastic wrap. The stink lingers.
quentin
Posted: Apr 05, 2011 04:23 PM
Good point about wrapping the hose. We just did the equipment bard for a dairy farm. Just wish I had thought of it BEFORE we pulled the hose out and found out just how much poo there was and how well the hose will hold it all! LOL
Ivan Pauliuchenka
Posted: Apr 05, 2011 08:22 PM
Try BioBased HD or XD. This is 3 and 6 pound sealants they have just for that use. BB XD has a vapor perm less than 1 at 1/2 inch. Check them out

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.