Q&A Forums

Can I run out of a 6x12 trailer? Single Axle. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Steve Anton
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 09:07 AM
Can I run out of a 6x12 trailer? Single Axle.
I run a construction business and looking to set up a crew of guys to run a spray foam rig. they wont see much action for a while maybe 20-30 jobs a year. I am looking at an E20, with a 15kw generator, another 5kw generator Honda to run a 60 gallon 7hp compressor, obviously the drums and other accessories to run this business.

is a a 6x12 big enough? and can it handle the weight? what would the total weigh be? I know its not ideal and obviously 7x16 or 18 or 24 is better. I just want to know if its big enough to hold everything and its weight.

SA
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 09:13 AM
no, you need at least 14 feet. Even at 14 feet you can only have one set of foam and almost no room for ladders and other stuff.
Steve Anton
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 09:20 AM
single axle enough? i totally realize that i am leaving no room for expansion. but this is to supplement my construction company, not looking to do it full time. need to have just the bare minimum. so 12 ft wont do it?
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 10:43 AM
A single axle trailer usually has a GVWR of 3500 pounds. If you guesstimate the trailer at 1500 pounds that leaves 2000 pounds for equipment. 1 set of foam weights about 1000 pounds. A proportioner and hoses weight about 500-600 pounds. You generator(s) will probably weight 500 pounds and your compressor will weight about 500 pounds. So you are over without any other necessities. Also what happens when you get a flat? With two axles at least you can get your $30K+ investment under control without a crash or major damage.

I think a 14-16' trailer would be minimum and I highly recommend a dual axle. That way you have 7000 pound capacity and can carry additional sets of material and equipments safely and legally! Plus you will have 4 brakes instead of 2! More is better.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Mar 02, 2007 01:53 AM
We run a 18' dual axle and have had 6 sets of foam in it.... the trailer tires looked sad but we didn't have that far to go from product pickup to the job site. I would say 5 sets would be the max when pulled with a 1 ton dually. Remember you may have to back the trailer into the site and the majority of the jobs that we have come across.... all the driveways have been uphill. The dually has NO PROBLEM. We live in a Snow Belt region so good backup skills and moderate speed helps greatly. Good training is to set up some cones in a vacant parking lot and practice backing up in a figure 8 kinda pattern. Also set the cones up for site side backing.... the more practice the better.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 04, 2007 05:00 PM
6x12 is plenty of size - for a froth pak.

olger
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 05, 2007 12:39 AM
Come on Olger,
You can at lest get 2 froth pak's in a 6X12

Seriously, you need a 2 axel trailer to carry the weight. I've got a 20foot trailer with 2 axels and somedays I wish I had a tri-axel trailer.

Airpro
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 06, 2007 11:18 AM
Amen brother.

olger
Posted: Mar 10, 2007 08:10 AM
tandem 7200 axles or better,,,,

i have managed out of a 10' box for the processing only equipment...pulled the power/compressor behind...not much room in box for much else than proport, fluids, hose and daily provisions,,but it can be done...

think ladders,scaffold,airpumps hose hoods masks, saws, air lines, safety schtuff, lunch pail, gatoraid, spare parts, lites, cords, microwave, small tools, plastic, tapes, tarps, brooms, scrapers and all the other peripherals...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.