Q&A Forums

Buying an Established SPF Company - Need Advice on Management Skills Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ben Hawkins
Posted: Aug 06, 2015 06:24 PM
Buying an Established SPF Company - Need Advice on Management Skills
I am new to the SPF industry, and I am in the process of buying an existing company that has been in business for 10 + years. I will be working for an extended time with the current owner to learn as much as I can. The business has a seasoned and talented spray crew. My question is what should I do to be the best and most successful SPF company owner I can be? What education should I pursue? What areas of expertise are the most important to master first to be a successful owner/manager? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Ben Hawkins
Posted: Aug 06, 2015 07:07 PM
Ignore, duplicate post
mason
Posted: Aug 07, 2015 12:36 PM
Ben,

First take SPFA certification courses available from a number of suppliers and independent consultants. Also, take an equipment and materials course from one of the major suppliers. Many times these 2 can be taken together in a weeks time. Pay particular attention to how to calculate foam and coating yield and bidding. Familiarize yourself with the potential problems that can occur during and after SPF applications. Do a lot of market research to find out what types of SPF applications are being performed in your area and which can be profitable and which are being sold with commodity pricing.

Find technical folks that can be available from your foam and equipment suppliers to answer questions in a reasonable time frame. (same day)

Attend the conferences, ICAA annual show & SPFA's Sprayfoam Conference

Download and read the technical documents available from ICAA and SPFA.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.