Q&A Forums

blowing agent patent expires Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
paul rogers
Posted: Aug 25, 2013 06:44 PM
blowing agent patent expires
Is there a new blowing agent out there?

The patent expiring means anybody can make Honeywells formula ?

Does this mean a reduction in price?

Thanks
mason
Posted: Aug 29, 2013 08:41 AM
Atofina and Dupont are working on blowing agents to compete with HFC 245 fa. And Honeywell is also introducing a new blowing agent. I will have more information on their progress after attending the CPI Polyurethane's conference September 23-25.

Can't say about pricing
Jesse Michalski
Posted: Nov 09, 2013 12:48 AM
as much as we would like to see pricing go down, it's going to take more than just a new blowing agent to accomplish this. Foam has no real performance competition in the market. People realize that it is the best building insulation and even more so as time goes on.

I believe that what will be needed to influence the market and drop foam material pricing would be some stiff competition from another product that had similar performance characteristics.

Foam manufacturers know they are in a good position and really have no reason to lower prices, although I will say that it is difficult to sell at times. I'm not going to work hard for less just because material is expensive, so at some point, something needs to give.

It will be interesting to see if anything changes on price, but I'm doubtful. High prices are surely having a negative effect on our local market in my opinion. I always try to keep the material at no more than 40% of the job cost as a rule, but people I compete against are throwing out bids showing material at 50-60% of the project cost, and I just don't see how you can run a business that way.

Also, consider the research and development money that companies spend to develop an alternative. They are going to recover that as quickly as possible, so I don't see how discounted foam prices is a reality, from a strictly business perspective.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.