Q&A Forums

Birds destroying foam roofs? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
quentin
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 09:31 AM
Birds destroying foam roofs?
Where I work they use the rubber membrane for the roofs of the buildings. I was talking to the maintnance supervisor and he looked at foam since it is near the end of the life span and needs constant repairs. The GE rep he talked to that tried to sell him their version of SPF roofing admited to him that they are having problems with birds pecking at the roofing to get the sand from the top coat they spray it seems.

Anyone ever hear of this problem before or is it something to do with the little know GE product and their using sand in the coating on top of the foam? And yes this is actually a GE building on top of that!
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 09:31 PM
In the future I would like to do foam roofing but for now I don't have experience in this area. I have been researching foam roofing for some time and I would guess it depends on the top coat put on the foam. There is a few different top coats you can apply. I have heard of birds pecking at roofs. I don't think birds can damage polyurea.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 09:36 PM
40 pounds of 3M ceramic granules embedded in the coating will resist said birds. There have been some bird damage incidents and those are generally along coastal areas with seagulls. Silicone is also vulnerable to this phenomenon (GE knows this because they are a major supplier of roofing silicone).

Polyurea or granules will turn their beaks.

olger
quentin
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 11:37 PM
40 LBS per ????? I am curious since even if I can't take the job I may have a real good lead for someone here!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 11:24 PM
Sorry. Per square.

regards, olger
quentin
Posted: Apr 28, 2007 02:04 PM
Hmmm, ok, now for the million $$$ questions.....

Would you spray strait on the rubber roofing and just cover it and the junk flashing with foam and also what would you use for a CURVED roof. These are old military structures that were taken over after the DoD moved DESC to Columbus. They have a curved rook like an airplane hanger or old Quanson hut.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 08:42 AM
What kind of rubber? Need more information...

Do they want foam? Or will polyurea do? A hybrid polyurea can cover the rubber nicely, and laminate it back into a seamless piece. Either solution will work well on barrel roofs since they are self-conforming.

olger
quentin
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 10:53 AM
I will see if I can get some pictures and more info for you then.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 11:24 AM
Tear off the old flashings. ALWAYS when re-roofing.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.