Q&A Forums

BIO or NON-BIO that is the question..... Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 08:22 PM
BIO or NON-BIO that is the question.....
so i see references to bio type foams....
what is a bio foam?
are there advantages to a bio foam?
are there disadvantages?

could be a good topic
please post...
Trey Gibson
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 09:32 PM
Bio meaning bio-based or soy based. In fact a very small percent of the foam is actually bio-based. I have sprayed multiple sets of the bio-based foam and had problems with voids. I have talked to other contractors who have had similar problems.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 07:10 AM
i quess i thought soy based were a bio based...
as is sucrose based,,corn oil based and the like.
please explain the difference further..
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 09:08 PM
In a nut shell bio based utilizes a soy based polyol as apposed to a petroleum based polyol the A component is no different. The are mostly open cells , Omega claims to have a closed cell but I have not used it.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 01:24 AM
so..if the A side is the same,,and it amounts to 50% of the blend...and the A side is a petro chemical product derivative...bio?

how much of the B side is actual soy oil?

my suppliers open cell is a sucrose base polyol...along with polyester chain extenders
(polyester utilizes PET II recycled plastics in its formulation i am learning)...so does that mean i too am spraying a bio product? or am i spraying that "nasty toxic foam" as one of the competitors calls it?

is the msds sheets for formulations bio or non-bio foam all that different..?
or are we dealing with MARKETING TRIPE?
Trey Gibson
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 07:55 AM
You will probobly get a different answer depending if you talk to a bio based supplier or a petro based supplier. You are right, 50% of the end product is A and I believe to be able to be labeled "bio based" only around 10% of the B side has to be bio. So in actuality not much of the end product is "bio."
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 10:35 AM
Marketing tripe.

As stated, the percentage of soy in the resin is pretty minor. A few of the smaller suppliers attempt to accentuate that aspect to appear green. Maybe they are green with envy..

There is one manufacturer that we spoke to in Tucson (at the SPF show) who claimed that his product was largely soy. Maybe so, maybe not.

It's all about marketing.

gcw

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.