Q&A Forums

best way to get the hose/gun five stories up Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
jeff henderson
Posted: Oct 05, 2010 02:24 PM
best way to get the hose/gun five stories up
I hope this is an easy question for the experienced roofing guys out there...what is the best way to haul my hose/gun up five stories to the roof I need to foam this week?

I have my first high roof to do and am not really looking forward to learning by trial and error.

Thanks in advance.
Posted: Oct 05, 2010 04:21 PM
drop rope from top, tie off to the gun/hose, have one guy feeding from your rig, while the other pulls up the rope, which is attached to the gun/hose.

5 stories isn't real bad. you may want to tie off the hose to the roof so that it doesn't keep on sliding back down while you are foaming. Hard to keep nice and smooth when your hose keeps jerking you backwards.
Benjamin Skoog
Posted: Oct 05, 2010 09:54 PM
It is a little work out for sure. send the rope down and pull it up. Send it down again and have a guy tie it again then pull both the hose and rope. repeat if necessary. tell the guys to eat their wheaties. Have fun!
Daniel X
Posted: Oct 06, 2010 12:45 AM
Is this honestly a serious question...?

You own foam equipment, you're spraying a roof, but you SERIOUSLY have to ASK how to get your hose up?

Wow.
jeff henderson
Posted: Oct 06, 2010 11:30 AM
ummm, yeah, it was a serious question.

Never having pulled a hose up five flights before, I thought I would ask if there was an easier way than the way I had planned - namely two strong young guys and perhaps a pack mule.

Maybe I missed the whole point of this forum, which I took to be an exchange of information between people in the industry, i.e. seasoned vets who are willing to share info/experience with newbies.

Thanks for all the replies.
Posted: Oct 06, 2010 03:27 PM
The hose isn't that heavy. Probably about the same as pulling a 5 gal pail of water up by a rope or lighter.

I asked the same question on a 20 story job that I did last year. As long as you have one guy feeding from the rig so it doesn't get caught up on anything, the other guy can easily pull it up.

There are 4-5 guys on this site that know their stuff and have taught me a lot. Don't be afraid to ask your question no matter how simple it may be.

I have never had a problem with a hose not being strong enough. We just tie around the gun block and once we get the gun on the roof, we pull the hose up.

Once we have enough slack on the roof, we tie a couple 1/2 inch knots around the hose where the roof meets the vertical wall just to hold the hose from dropping down.
SPFer
Posted: Oct 07, 2010 06:35 AM
Just be careful of the hose. That's alot of weight.

We pulled the hose up a 7 story, but then we had all the weight draped over the railing at the top. The iron railing cut the b line.

Treat the hose with care.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.