Q&A Forums

best set up for home user Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
g beckett
Posted: Jan 03, 2008 10:29 AM
best set up for home user
I have searched this forum and just wanted to throw something out there for the experts to comment on.
My plan is to spray foam a 60 x 80 barn, as well I have an addition to the house going up soon that I would also like to spray foam. For some extra cash I flip 2 to 3 houses a year that need insulation most times as well. So with that background I am not trying to break into the spray foam market but merely be more or less a DIY'r.
What would be the most cost effective equipment/set up to get? I have seen those small tanks you can buy (tiger foam I think) but for what I need I was thinking a step above that would be better suited. Would I have to get into getting a mixer, heated hoses, etc, etc. Also I am situated in South Western Ontario, and haven't heard of anyone local renting the equipment.
Michael Flander
Posted: Jan 03, 2008 10:45 AM
At a rate of 3-4 jobs per calendar year, you would be better off outsourcing to a qualified contractor. It would take you a few years at that rate to make up for equipment costs, not to mention the burden of responsibility for adhering to local codes and regs and the overall quality of the completed job.

Equipment costs have a tendency to go up the less you use the equipment because of the maintenence required to let the machine sit for extended periods of time.

Mike Flander
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Jan 06, 2008 05:48 PM
gbeck
The Raider or the thegreenmachine.com or the graco e-10.
The only time you need a mixer is for open cell foam.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 07, 2008 11:30 AM
Small stuff? Raider, or TigerFoam bulk harness kits.

oG
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 04:18 PM
These forums have alot of excellent info. I to am getting close to purchasing some equipment for a small buisness. I am curious what the pro's feel is a minimum amout to justify a part time buisness. Let me explain the part time before i get tore up. I work a week on week off schedule for the pipe line in alaska. I am owner/worker of a small construction company. i build shops a house once in awhile. there is no applicator within 200 miles. I have verbaly sold about 20,000 sqft for the summer of 08 and have been requested to bid on large shops for 09'. there is only a hand full of new holmes built every summer. This equipment will not get used every week and will have most of the winter's off. Any thoughts??
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 07:42 PM
Down time is really hard on equipment. It needs to be used regularly. The ISO will harden and cause you all sorts of problems if left for any period of time. It is a great business to get in to but it isn't seasonal work. I find I had the most problems when my equipment has sat in the past. When used daily I have very little issue.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:33 AM
The Graco H-25 is the prportioner i was looking at. I am deffinatly taking any all advice surious. I am getting cuaght up in the moment, and the figures always look good on paper. if only the paper would show down time and malfunctions. lots of people are curious and hearing the rumor of me possibly getting the equipment. I feeel confident that the equipment would payfor itself and i am starting on another large house for myself, i plan on having it framed and sprayed this summer. this will be my third house i have built for my family with a forth in our future.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.