Q&A Forums

Best foam? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Matt Cogley
Posted: May 13, 2010 09:29 AM
Best foam?
We have a Graco E10 with an AP fusion gun. We have been using DOW closed cell foam. We have had some troubles with it and it has been suggested that one of the problems might be that the B side of the DOW foam is VERY thick and that might be a problem, so we are looking for another brand/choice.

My question is: what (primarily closed cell) foam do YOU use and like?
Posted: May 14, 2010 02:11 PM
What sort of problems with the closed cell? What was it doing?

B side is always thicker when it is colder outside. Are you still having problems with it now that it has warmed up?

BASF
Lapolla
Bay

No problems unless they give me summer foam in the winter and winter foam in the summer.
clint moore
Posted: May 14, 2010 06:02 PM
I just did a start up with a DOW rep. and one of their chemist in Tucson on 5/13/2010. According to Claire,their chemist, Dow has the lowest viscosity resin on the market.
chad harris
Posted: May 14, 2010 09:50 PM
It doesnt sound like the flavor of foam is your problem, sounds like trouble shooting more than anything. We sprayed a test drum of DOW 2.0# and had no problem. If its just one kit that gave you problems, then maybe it was the foam. But if your having the same issues on multiple kits, then chances are that its on your end. I do know that the manufacturers have screening methods before drumming the chemical out of tanks. And broke or clogged screens in this business can cause all kinds of havoc!
Ben Wydeven
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 02:22 AM
I suggest the closed cell Touch N Seal kits. You can see a video on how to use the kits at:

www.youtube.com/kitfoam
Philip Simon
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 09:38 PM
I also have an E-10 and a Ap fusion gun that I use to spray with.I get my foam from George Spano of Northeast spray foam. I think the foam is manufactured by Burton polymers. Call him [ he is listed on this forum] and ask his advise. He is great to talk to and has help me fix a few problems that I had with the machine when I first started out.
The E-10 does have a problem keeping the heat up if the area is cold or the chamber size is too large. Keep an eye on the temp of the material and recirculate when the temp drops too low.
SPFer
Posted: Jul 01, 2010 08:16 AM
Ben, I trust you are joking about the kitfoam being the best closed cell for a professional installer with the proper equipment. This isn't a homeowner's diy network and we aren't spraying out of kits for anything other than small jobs and touchups.
Posted: Jul 01, 2010 03:18 PM
just priced a u2-200 kit...
till i paid hazmat & delivery,,,
with cost of kit,,,i am @ $1.73/ brd ft
useing 200 brd ft yield,,and we already know
that doesnt happen,,
poop the bed fred,,,
i wish i could get $1.73/ brd ft for real spf...
...and oh yeah,,,while im ranting,,,
you say this stuff expands 30 times its volume on your youtubevideo...blaphooey!!!this is a prefroth system that swells at best and may "expand" 5-8 times its volume in perfect conditions,,,you are forming a bun of foam in the stud cavity,,it does not expand into the minute gaps and penetrations,,may as well cut boardstock and caulk/can foam gaps and edges..
and then there is the icc-es report...seal penetrations, gaps and cracks,,yeppers,,spray sheathing for "flash n batt" or use for insulation,,,noppers,,,
seems there is another thread on here somewhere where the guy went for cheap diy,,,and then even tried to apply overhead,,and he didnt get the yield,,even in ideal conditions,,and he really fought the overhead application...so in the end he could have had it done right with the right product with none of the frustration and pain of knowing he got bootyrammed...

the greatest thing
since ky-jelly
butt in the end
its kinda smelly
burma shave
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jul 09, 2010 12:59 PM
Sorry I missed this one...

heat on the E-10 is max at 1700w - those heater rods go often - and you are re-circulating closed cell - not sure that is recommended - please check your product specifications for loss of blowing agent.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.